Old 26-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Bacchae

Default Where does a Phrag spike from?

I have had a Phrag besseae for a couple of years now and I am hoping that it
is finally mature enough to be thinking about flowering. There is a little
bit of green down at the base of the plant, similar to where a Phal would
spike from. Any chance this is a long-awaited flower spike coming?

Let me know if you would like pictures and I'll put something up on ABPO.

Thanks!

- Sandy (happily sitting next to my flowering Onc. Sharry Baby)

Old 26-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Rob

Bacchae wrote:
I have had a Phrag besseae for a couple of years now and I am hoping that it
is finally mature enough to be thinking about flowering. There is a little
bit of green down at the base of the plant, similar to where a Phal would
spike from. Any chance this is a long-awaited flower spike coming?

Let me know if you would like pictures and I'll put something up on ABPO.

Thanks!

- Sandy (happily sitting next to my flowering Onc. Sharry Baby)

Nope... That is a new growth starting. That is a good thing, but not a
spike. Phrags (and paphs) spike from the center of the fan of leaves.

Patience... You might see a flower spike starting now that is getting a
bit cooler.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 26-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Bacchae

Bacchae wrote:
There is a little bit of green down at the base of the plant, similar to
where a Phal would spike from. Any chance this is a long-awaited flower
spike coming?

"Rob" replied...

Nope... That is a new growth starting. That is a good thing, but not a
spike. Phrags (and paphs) spike from the center of the fan of leaves.

Patience... You might see a flower spike starting now that is getting a
bit cooler.

Nothing wrong with new growth! I am in Canada so it will indeed get a bit
cooler. I have them near the same window that I have my Cyms (that flower
regularly), Miltonidium (about 4 days from flowering), a gorgeous little
"Walmart special" Phal (too lazy to go down and check the tag but I think I
got it on the day they came in and its a beauty) and even a Cattleya. I
know they have different cultures but I only have two good windows so they
have to deal.

I'll definitely take new growth though! Thanks!

- Sandy

Old 26-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Bacchae

"Bacchae" wrote in message ...

a gorgeous little "Walmart special" Phal (too lazy to go down and check
the tag but I think I got it on the day they came in and its a beauty)

Okay, I went to check the tag, it is P. Brother Sara Gold. Similar to:

http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spk.asp?PRecno=3522

I like the *really* purple lip.

- Sandy

Old 27-09-2005, 05:38 AM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:57:03 GMT, "Bacchae"
wrote:

Bacchae wrote:
[...]

Sandy - I would put the Phrag in the sunny spot and see if you
can make it happier. Mine have more sun than my Cym's.

SuE

Old 29-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Registered User

Smile

Hi Sandy!
I found a post on another forum that might help you since there are a couple of pics.

http://www.slipperorchidforum.com/fo...pic.php?t=1914

Milda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchae

Old 30-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Bacchae

Thanks, Milda! That was a help.

- Sandy

"Milda" wrote in message ...

Hi Sandy!
I found a post on another forum that might help you since there are a
couple of pics.

http://tinyurl.com/btdl4

Milda

Bacchae Wrote:
I have had a Phrag besseae for a couple of years now and I am hoping
that it
is finally mature enough to be thinking about flowering. There is a
little
bit of green down at the base of the plant, similar to where a Phal
would
spike from. Any chance this is a long-awaited flower spike coming?

Let me know if you would like pictures and I'll put something up on
ABPO.

Thanks!

- Sandy (happily sitting next to my flowering Onc. Sharry Baby)

--
Milda

Phrag Ecua-Bess in spike! J Fortuna Orchids 4 16-02-2006 04:42 AM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Phrag. pollen wanted stuie stuie Orchids 0 14-05-2003 01:08 PM
Status of Phrag. dalessandroi germ Orchids 2 03-02-2003 07:53 PM