Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2003, 02:32 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default Hybridizing

I am "playing" around with hand-pollinating orchids. I really would like to
learn about raising orchids from seed.

Thus far, I've succeeded in making a big ol' Phal.Sogo Yukidan swell up with
seed capsule, which I pollinated on Jan 30th, 2003 with a Phal.Taipei Gold.
I've been successful with other Phalaenopsis orchids as well, also
hand-pollinated on the 30th of January.

I got bored with Phals and decided to do the same with Sl.Gratrixiae x C.
Intermedia and B. Little Stars (Nodosa x Cordata). The seed capsule is
swelling up on the B.Little Stars. I'm a bit concerned with this seed pod
though. It's been erect with the dried flower at it's tip all throughout
Feb, and March. In the past few days, the seed pod is not as upright, and
in fact appears to be droopy a bit. The consistency is the same, it's just
not as erect. I wonder if this is a sign of the pod maturing? Or is it
rotting [the color of pod is as green as before]. Does anyone know if these
two are compatible? And if yes, how long for seed maturation?

Whether I will be successful in germinating these remains to be seen, but
experimenting is a lot of fun!

Advice appreciated greatly,

Mariana

Brooklyn, NY 6b