Old 01-04-2003, 02:32 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default Hybridizing

I am "playing" around with hand-pollinating orchids. I really would like to
learn about raising orchids from seed.

Thus far, I've succeeded in making a big ol' Phal.Sogo Yukidan swell up with
seed capsule, which I pollinated on Jan 30th, 2003 with a Phal.Taipei Gold.
I've been successful with other Phalaenopsis orchids as well, also
hand-pollinated on the 30th of January.

I got bored with Phals and decided to do the same with Sl.Gratrixiae x C.
Intermedia and B. Little Stars (Nodosa x Cordata). The seed capsule is
swelling up on the B.Little Stars. I'm a bit concerned with this seed pod
though. It's been erect with the dried flower at it's tip all throughout
Feb, and March. In the past few days, the seed pod is not as upright, and
in fact appears to be droopy a bit. The consistency is the same, it's just
not as erect. I wonder if this is a sign of the pod maturing? Or is it
rotting [the color of pod is as green as before]. Does anyone know if these
two are compatible? And if yes, how long for seed maturation?

Whether I will be successful in germinating these remains to be seen, but
experimenting is a lot of fun!

Advice appreciated greatly,

Mariana

Brooklyn, NY 6b

Old 02-04-2003, 09:32 PM
dusty

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in
et:

[...]

This info should keep you busy for a while also included is information on
labs that will do it for you.
Be aware that the equipment required to plant your seed with out getting a
bunch of nasty things in there with them can get expensive.
http://www.orchidsource.com/GBSeedManual.html
http://www.phytotechlab.com/
http://www.geocities.com/kmartchow/KMC_orchid_prop.htm
http://vengers.com/culture/flaskpic.htm
http://www.8ung.at/ederer_thomas/orc...lish/index.htm
http://www.home.turbonet.com/kitchenculture/tcinfo.htm
http://web.idirect.com/~orchids/flasking.html
http://www.cedar-lodge.co.uk/page1.htm
http://www.bporchids.com/
http://www.olympiaorchids.com/Lab.htm
ftp://ftp.nmt.edu/pub/orchids/flasking

Enjoy
Dusty
Old 05-04-2003, 12:56 AM
GrlIntrpted

Thank you Dusty, I appreciate the information. Since I posted, I've been
combing the web and communicating with various people and labs. I have to
admit, it is all too confusing. I'm glad that I have a little time before
the seeds on my orchids mature.

Earlier today, I've spent almost $200.00 on chemicals, and other orchid
flasking paraphanelia [sp]. I am expecting the arrival of almost everything
that I'll need to start sowing orchid seeds next week. I'll be purchasing a
pressure cooker over the weekend, so if anyone has any particular
recommendations for a particular brand maybe, things I should look for
etc... I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll keep reading and re-reading,
probably some of the most confusing information that I ever encountered .

Wish me luck,
Mariana

"dusty" wrote in message
s.com...
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in
et:

Old 05-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 23:44:32 GMT, "GrlIntrpted"
wrote:

I'll be purchasing a
pressure cooker over the weekend, so if anyone has any particular
recommendations for a particular brand maybe, things I should look for
etc... I would appreciate it.

You can save a bundle by purchasing your pressure cooker on eBay. I
got a 21 quart for $25 + shipping.

Old 05-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Al

Paraphanelia: an intergeneric comprising Paraphalaenopsis x Phaius x
Neofinetia x Laelia
It is abreviated Ppnla.
It's a new one. There are no registered crosses...yet.

Good luck with your flasking.

t...

Old 09-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Aaron Hicks

"GrlIntrpted" spaketh thusly:

I'll be purchasing a pressure cooker over the weekend, so if anyone has
any particular recommendations for a particular brand maybe, things I
should look for etc... I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll keep
reading and re-reading, probably some of the most confusing information
that I ever encountered .

Probably too late to be of any good if you were shopping last
weekend, but the "All American" pressure cookers are top of the line. Made
in the US, no rubber gasket (but there *is* a rubber overpressure disc
that needs to be replaced now and again- common to all pressure cookers of
modern design), solid aluminum- absolutely bulletproof design.
Try a "Google" search to find the best price. They range from 10
quarts (model 910) to 41 quarts (model 941). Also look for models 915,
921, and 930. I have one model 930, and one model 915, plus a couple of
rinky-dink Prestos for smaller jobs.

-AJHicks
The Orchid Seedbank
Chandler, AZ