Old 26-02-2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Richard

Default Miltassia Royal Robe - flower spikes not growing?

Back in September, when I was bringing in my Miltassia Royal Robe "Jerrys
Pick" I noticed that I had 3 spikes starting from the new growth. They were
tucked between the layers of leaves covering the pseudobulb. I tucked it in
among some other plants under fluorescent lights near a south window and
forgot about the spikes until today when I was moving the plants around and
saw that the Miltassia was putting out new growths. That's when I
remembered the spikes, and looking between the leaves, found the spikes
almost as I remember them in September. Does this hybrid take a long time
to spike? Waiting for spring? Thanks

Richard
Old 26-02-2006, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

In my experience, they should have just kept on growing.

I'd be concerned that the change in conditions may have stalled the
blooming, but don't give up all hope.

Old 26-02-2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:09:44 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

In my experience, they should have just kept on growing.

I'd be concerned that the change in conditions may have stalled the
blooming, but don't give up all hope.

As Ray said - stalled blooms don't have to mean no blooms. Give this
cross one of the brightest spots you may get out of season blooms, but
that is all the more fun. To have blooms when no one esle does.

SuE
Old 05-03-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yeah I wouldn't fret yet.

If the change in conditions was too drastic, the spike would have been
aborted. If it's still green and turgid, this is a good sign.

Seems like the plant needs a little more "input" in the form of light
and nutrients, to kick start it back into energy-sucking floral
maturation and meiosis. More light, a slight increase in fertilization
frequency and / or intensity, and you should see a good response.

Royal empress (Royal Paulownia) seeds, uk?? alison1971 United Kingdom 10 01-02-2010 05:22 PM
Miltassia Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 06-11-2007 12:58 AM
Miltassia Royal Robe 'Jerry's Pick' - miltassiaroyalrobe.jpg (1/1) [181K] tbell Orchid Photos 1 20-11-2006 12:53 AM
Miltassia with limp leaves Diana Kulaga Orchids 4 08-04-2003 11:44 PM