Old 12-03-2006, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bruce Musgrove

Default Newbie help please

A few new plants, still trying to learn and get adjusted to light
requirements.

Please look at http://home.comcast.net/~katkom/Orchids/ and give me your
opinion. I think My main problem is too much sun now that it is warming up
here in Dallas texas. That window gets sun from about 11 am until the sun
goes down.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
kenty;\)

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
A few new plants, still trying to learn and get adjusted to light
requirements.

Please look at http://home.comcast.net/~katkom/Orchids/ and give me your
opinion. I think My main problem is too much sun now that it is warming
up here in Dallas texas. That window gets sun from about 11 am until the
sun goes down.

I would most certainly say too much sun,especially for the
phalaenopsis.Most orchids like bright indirect light.So bring them further
in to the room .Your DGMRA looks dehydrated , again from too much sun so
do the same.Try to remember orchids like good light ,this doesn't mean
full sun.Mine are in a greenhouse which gets very good light like
yourself,but I have bubble insulation inside the glass so diffuses the
suns rays,o.k for winter/early spring.Soon I will be using a first layer
of shading( paint on shading).Then when the sun really gets strong will
use shade cloth.This comes off in the reverse order in late autumn when
the sun has lost its strength.

Hope this helps you understand what sort of light orchids like.If I was you
I would search the internet and get a orchid book.
Cheers Keith

Old 12-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Musgrove
A few new plants, still trying to learn and get adjusted to light
requirements.

Please look at http://home.comcast.net/~katkom/Orchids/ and give me your
opinion. I think My main problem is too much sun now that it is warming up
here in Dallas texas. That window gets sun from about 11 am until the sun
goes down.
Hi Bruce,
All the leaves shown are burnt. No doubt about it. The Degamoara's bulb looks like there might be a little burn on the bottom left too. You need to cut down your sunlight by about 40 - 50%, or move the orchids out of direct sun.

Incidentally, please look at the following link and see if this is your plant. http://www.geocities.com/masdevallia...onderland.html
If so, 'White Fairy' only refers to this particular clone. The correct name for the plant is Winter Wonderland.

Happy growing,
Weng
Old 12-03-2006, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

You have definitely burned the phalaenopsis. They prefer fairly low light
levels - definitely no direct Dallas sunlight - so you can either move them
farther away from the window, put them in a east-facing one, or put up some
shears to cut the intensity, as the screen may have done.

The Degarmoara Winter Wonderland is an oncidium intergeneric hybrid that
will like a somewhat higher light levels, but it also prefers to be a bit
cooler. I, in a brief look, didn't see any overt scorching, but the
pseudobulbs do appear to be a bit desiccated, suggesting underwatering, or
rotted roots.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yeah Bruce your Phals are fried. And not chronic frying, that would
show up as purpling...Actue frying for sure. Give those suckers less
light...Do your research quick or those plants will die.

The oncidium definatly looked a little thirsty, but it is by no means
beyond hope.
I'd yank the plant out and look at the root system, I'd be willing to
bet there's some damage down there. Try to push that plant with
significantly higher light ( ~ 2500 - 3250 lumens). While I wouldn't
recommend it, some people down in the southern US latitudes have been
known to grow this alliance outside all year. Given that you're a
beginner and still learning about your plants, I suggest using a
greenhouse so that you can control the environmental inputs more.

Good Luck

Old 12-03-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bruce Musgrove

You are correct. It is the winter wonderland. It was late, and I was getting
lazy. Plus I am used to roses where it is less omportant to have the exact
genetic line/name.

Please look at http://tinyurl.com/h3ymt and give me your

plant. http://tinyurl.com/kkp7x

--
Weng

Old 12-03-2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bruce Musgrove

I will pull those tonight and look at the roots.

The person I had bough the White Fairy from told me how to divide it and
said I should do it as soon as I got home. I did, and I may have not
repotted it correctly with the peat moss (too much, too tight) and need to
loosen up the mix.

Another newbie question - Peat moss or a lavalrock / bark mixture? The
books seem to say either one is fine. I am using peat moss, but I look at
it from a water prospect - The peat moss will hold more water longer in the
windows (I think) and therefore less watering required.