Old 11-05-2006, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Peter Ashby

Default Paphio question

I have a Paphiodedilum I bought in flower nearly a year ago. It flowered
for a long time but finished two months ago. Before it finished
flowering it began to grow a new plant above the old one. I have
recently cut the old dead leaves from the original plant and can see two
small new plants lower down the stem.

The first seen new plant is now almost large enough to flower again, but
I am unsure what to do about the two extra new growths. For instance,
can I at some point pot them up as separate plants and if so how? should
I remove them to ensure flowering of the large new plant?

I have kept orchids (Phals, Oncidiums, Cambria etc) for a number of
years but this is my first Phaphio (my wife fell in love with the
flowers).

Any suggestions?

Peter

Old 11-05-2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Peter, those new fans are what will produce more flowers for you. Leave them
alone; it sounds like your Paph is doing quite well.

Diana

uk...

Old 11-05-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 11 May 2006 10:19:49 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Peter, those new fans are what will produce more flowers for you. Leave them
alone; it sounds like your Paph is doing quite well.

Diana

Peter -
Let me add that when or if you can get several fans to mature at the
same time, you wife will love it even more. Do not attempt to divide
a Paph. Let it stay together in as large a clump as it wishes. When
they are ready to split they fall apart while you are repotting. But
sometimes they do it before they are ready, so be gentle and disturb
the roots as little as possible when it become time to repot. Try not
to divide and your plant will flourish.

It will probably not bloom until approximately this time next year.
Most Paphs are on an annual cycle.

SuE
Old 11-05-2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Peter Ashby

wrote:

Peter, those new fans are what will produce more flowers for you. Leave them
alone; it sounds like your Paph is doing quite well.

Diana

Peter -
Let me add that when or if you can get several fans to mature at the
same time, you wife will love it even more. Do not attempt to divide
a Paph. Let it stay together in as large a clump as it wishes. When
they are ready to split they fall apart while you are repotting. But
sometimes they do it before they are ready, so be gentle and disturb
the roots as little as possible when it become time to repot. Try not
to divide and your plant will flourish.

It will probably not bloom until approximately this time next year.
Most Paphs are on an annual cycle.

Thankyou both for you advice, I will limit myself to watering/feeding
and removing dead leaves then and look forward lots of blooms :-)

Peter