Old 15-08-2006, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Cleaning Vanda Baskets

That's why the ZeroTol is stabilized. While I would still avoid metals, it
is MUCH safer to work with than concentrated hydrogen peroxide - and I've
worked with both.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Al wrote:
I wonder if this approach would work works with pots of damp sphagnum in
the

winter when oil is too expensive to use to heat higher than 55 degrees.

IIRC, concentrated H2O2 can be had cheaper than Zerotol.

Keep in mind that it is nasty stuff. Pour it in a metal bucket, and
you can get a steam explosion. It breaks down violently in the
presence of metal catalysts like iron and copper.

J. Del Col

Old 15-08-2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have a built-in one - all the pipes in my house (IF the neutralizer tank
runs out...my well water has a pH of 4.7)

"Rob" wrote in message
Pat Brennan wrote:
Al,

I used it for a while to try to slow down the green slime that grows on
top of the moss. No slime, no fungus gnats. Although I saw no ill
effects on the orchids, I did not think it slowed down the slime enough
to justify the cost. I do know an orchid growers who use it exactly as
you describe and swears by it. He heats with natural gas and has been
pushing down greenhouse temps for the last couple of years. I think his
Phal houses are now in the mid 50's with other greenhouses even lower.
I have never used it for this because I am pretty happy with my copper
ion injector, but I guess it will be put to a test this winter.

Just to steer this completely off track... Where did you get this copper
ion injector? I had never heard of one before.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 15-08-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray wrote:
I have a built-in one - all the pipes in my house (IF the neutralizer tank
runs out...my well water has a pH of 4.7)

That's one way to thin the pipes. Do you get a little green about the
gills from time to time?

J. Del Col

Old 16-08-2006, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have plastic pipes so a different approach was needed.

I bumped into mine while looking for something to slow down the green slime
that grows on top of moss. You know, no green slime, no fungus gnats. It
works on the same principle as electroplating. Water is passed between two
large copper plates which are charged. As copper moves from one plate to
the other it is whisked down the hose. The more current that passes between
the plates, the more copper added to the water. I use mine after I inject
fertilizer. A real benefit of the system is the current meter. For a given
power setting, the current passing between the plate is a measure of the
waters E. C. Zero for R.O., pegged when I screwed up measuring fertilizer.

I still have green slime, but I am sure the unit has paid for itself in just
reduced chemical use.

To steer back on track. Another thing that might help our plants get
through this winter with pretty leaves might be sulfur generators. Never
heard of them before this year but I have now talked to two orchid growers
that speak highly of them. Sounds like they are simply systems that cook ag
grade sulfur at night. Leaves a invisible sulfur film over everything. I
wonder if sulfur would slow down the green slime?

Pat

Old 16-08-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray wrote:
...no copper deficiencies in this household.

And if the orchid business folds, you could get a job as a conductor.

J. Del Col

Old 16-08-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

wrote:
Ray wrote:
...no copper deficiencies in this household.

And if the orchid business folds, you could get a job as a conductor.

J. Del Col

You owe me a keyboard... *grin*

--
Rob's Rules: