Old 14-08-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Cleaning Vanda Baskets

I want to remove the black deposits on the wood baskets in which my Vanda
orchids are growing. Mostly for aesthetics, but I don't want to tear the
plants apart and put them in new baskets. Someone from the AOS mentioned a
product called "xeratrol" or something like that (not sure of the spelling
-could be something related to a peroxide). Does anyone know what this
chemical is and where to get it - or another solution to the problem?

Thanks

Charles VanDyke

Old 14-08-2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

cvandyke wrote:
I want to remove the black deposits on the wood baskets in which my Vanda
orchids are growing. Mostly for aesthetics, but I don't want to tear the
plants apart and put them in new baskets. Someone from the AOS mentioned a
product called "xeratrol" or something like that (not sure of the spelling
-could be something related to a peroxide). Does anyone know what this
chemical is and where to get it - or another solution to the problem?

The black deposits are mold. Anything that would kill it would
probably harm the plants.
If you want to clean the baskets, you should remove the plants and make
sure you rinse the baskets very thoroughly before replanting.

I've quit using wooden baskets for Vandas and species like Stanhopeas.

J. Del Col

Old 14-08-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Zerotol is a broad-spectrum algaecide/fungicide that is labeled for plant
use (as compared to being labeled for use on hard surfaces). It has a zero
hour REI and requires no respirator. It is available from most of the
grower supply companies. The smallest size I have seen it sold in is a two
and a half gallon jug which sells for more than $100. It is my
understanding that its chemistry differs from Hydrogen Peroxide by one
oxygen. Many smaller growers use Hydrogen Peroxide in the same way Zerotol
is used. Maybe someone in the group has experience using Peroxide. I am
not sure this helps but Zerotol is 27% and is used at .5 to 1.25 oz per
gallon. Household Peroxide is 3%. If you do not get any better suggestions
you might want to try 10 ozs peroxide per gallon of water and see if this
clear up the wood without killing the plant. I would only test it on one
plant and if I had an old basket with the mold and not a plant I would try
that first to make sure it will even help.

Pat

]...

Old 14-08-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Pat told you right about what Xerotol is -- and what it costs.

You can also buy stronger than 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, if you are wlling to
buy a quantity. Much cheaper, also much more dangerous.

If you use a fungicide regularly, you probably won't get those black
deposits. For the remedial phase, if you don't want to remove the plants,
then I think you should be looking at household peroxide or one of the
milder fungicides -- not as a spray, but applied with a toothbrush and
elbow-grease [and gloves] :(

Kenni

]...

Old 14-08-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I am sorry, was just in the greenhouse repotting redoing the math in my head
and it is wrong. Start at 5 oz peroxide per gallon of water. If after a
couple of times it does not hurt the plant but does not help the wood, then
you might want to try 10 ozs per gallon. Back to potting.

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
[...]

]...

Old 15-08-2006, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Pat,
If you notice old composition shingle roofs, beneath each vent pipe
there usually is a long teardrop shaped clean area going down the roof,
the rest of the roof will be darker in color, that is black algae on
the slate pebbles. That is where Zinc or Lead Oxide washes off the pipe
and kills or prevents black algae. A strip of the metal fixed to the
top rail of your basket should solve your problem.:-))

Joe T

Old 15-08-2006, 10:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

ZeroTol is billed as "hydrogen dioxide" and is stabilized with peroxyacetic
acid (it leaves the GH smelling like vinegar after use). It is manufactured
by Bio-Safe Systems (888-273-3088).

It is still a strong oxidizer, but it mush safer to use than
higher-concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

[...]

]...

Old 15-08-2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray wrote:
ZeroTol is billed as "hydrogen dioxide" and is stabilized with peroxyacetic
acid (it leaves the GH smelling like vinegar after use). It is manufactured
by Bio-Safe Systems (888-273-3088).

It is still a strong oxidizer, but it mush safer to use than
higher-concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

"Hydrogen dioxide" is a synonym for hydrogen peroxide. This stuff has
a $20 hazmat fee tacked to its already exorbitant price. I suspect it
is just another formulation of concentrated H2O2.

Long rubber gloves and goggles would be my choice for handling the
stuff.

J. Del Col

Old 15-08-2006, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

According to its safety warnings, Zerotol is a 25% concentration of
H2O2 and can cause eye and skin damage on contact. Recommended
dilution is something like 50:1 water/zerotol.

25% H2O2 is nasty stuff.

J. Del Col

Old 15-08-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

A former employer at a wholesale nursery plant production facility runs it
through his drip/irrigation lines. He alternates it with fertilizer. These
lines feed directly into pots of soil containing the likes of poinsettia
cuttings or pansy plugs, etc depending on the season... It was the darkest,
dampest, coldest greenhouse I have ever been in but nothing ever rotted and
everything always seemed to be ready on schedule; full trays of blooming
pansies six or eight weeks after plugging.

I wonder if this approach would work works with pots of damp sphagnum in the
winter when oil is too expensive to use to heat higher than 55 degrees.

Old 15-08-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Al wrote:
I wonder if this approach would work works with pots of damp sphagnum in the

winter when oil is too expensive to use to heat higher than 55 degrees.

IIRC, concentrated H2O2 can be had cheaper than Zerotol.

Keep in mind that it is nasty stuff. Pour it in a metal bucket, and
you can get a steam explosion. It breaks down violently in the
presence of metal catalysts like iron and copper.

J. Del Col

Old 15-08-2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Pat Brennan wrote:
Al,

I used it for a while to try to slow down the green slime that grows on top
of the moss. No slime, no fungus gnats. Although I saw no ill effects on
the orchids, I did not think it slowed down the slime enough to justify the
cost. I do know an orchid growers who use it exactly as you describe and
swears by it. He heats with natural gas and has been pushing down
greenhouse temps for the last couple of years. I think his Phal houses are
now in the mid 50's with other greenhouses even lower. I have never used
it for this because I am pretty happy with my copper ion injector, but I
guess it will be put to a test this winter.

Just to steer this completely off track... Where did you get this
copper ion injector? I had never heard of one before.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 15-08-2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Pat Brennan wrote:
Zerotol is a broad-spectrum algaecide/fungicide that is labeled for plant
use (as compared to being labeled for use on hard surfaces). It has a zero
hour REI and requires no respirator. It is available from most of the
grower supply companies. The smallest size I have seen it sold in is a two
and a half gallon jug which sells for more than $100. It is my
understanding that its chemistry differs from Hydrogen Peroxide by one
oxygen.

No it doesn't.

Hydrogen dioxide is just a synonym for hydrogen peroxide, H2O2.

Somebody will eventually start selling water as "dihydrogen monoxide,"
and people will rush out and buy it, thinking they've got something
new.

Concentrated H2O2 can be bought for less than Zerotol sells for.

J. Del Col