Old 17-08-2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default This Summer's observations...

I've been meaning to post several things out here for some time and have
been so busy. This is a string of unrelated thoughts I'd like to share with
my extended orchid family.

1 - Rabbits eat Zygos! I had two nice Zygos that I put on the bottom shelf
of a plant stand with the other cymbidiums. I've been fighting a couple of
rabbit this year in the flower and veggie garden. The rabbits are gone now
but before they entered the food chain they chewed up the Zygos. They
didn't bother the cymbos on the same shelf. Just thought I'd share that
with you folks who put your plants out for the summer.

2 - Jewel orchids are wonderful! Last year I purchased 2 Macodes petole
plants in 2 1/2 inch pots from Oak Hill. They were so tiny. Over the past
12 months I've moved them up first to a shallow 4" bulb pot then to a nice
glazed bonzai planter. They look great, grow fast to form a colony, and
fill a spot in the greenhouse where other plants won't grow because of the
light level. They join a great ludisia discolor that is growing in a larger
bulb pan with the surface covered in live green moss. I also have
Anoectochilus chapensis (also from Oak Hill) that I've had about 6 months
now that is growing very quickly. If you have a nice low light area in your
growing area that you'd like to brighten up I highly recommend these jewels.

3 - Oak Hill Cattleya Sale ... I didn't have any more space for plants but I
couldn't resist 10 catts for $50. They sent 9 unbloomed plants many showing
sheeths and one mericlone. Great looking plants for $5.00 each in 4 and 5
inch pots. If you want an instant catt collection of some really
interesting crosses (their choice) I can attest that this is a true orchid
bargain.

4 - Bug report ... As you know I have been fighting the nasty two scale and
mealies for the past couple of years. Mealies have been gone now for a year
and my phals look much better without the mealies. Enstar II was the
solution for me. I took several applications but they are history. Scale
is another story. For the past year I seem to have been chasing around the
greenhouse. Back in June I bought a bottle of the Bayer Advanced Shrub and
Tree systemic that people have been touting for a while. My first mistake
was not to check my arithmetic and the setting on my dosamatic. I only
applied it at a quarter of the recommended rate of 1 Tbs per gallon. The
soft scale went away on the soft leaved plants like Oncidium but persisted
on the Catts and Dendrobs, specially on the older leaves/stems. After
discovering my error I bought 4 more bottles of Bayer and corrected my
dosage. For two consecutive weeks I watered at the correct dose. Today I
went through the plants the scale really are attracted to and found many
dead adults. I will wait a week then do two more applications to get any
eggs that hatch. I think I've got them on the run now.

Well, that's all that's happening in my collection. I hope everyone else is
having a great summer (for those in the northern hemisphere) or your winter
isn't that bad (in the southern hemi).

Good growing,
Gene

Old 17-08-2006, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi there Gene,
Wondering if the sale is still on? *G*
I too have been bothered by infestations of both mealies & scale.
Have been using Mavrik along with Enstar II but still have sightings after 2yrs.
I have only sprayed so wondering if I can use the Bayer product when I water. Don't
have a Dosmatic? Is this a fert dispenser?
I have notice a reduction in flowers this year both in the greenhouse & outside?
Still trying to catch up on my repotting but it has been so hot this summer.
And so it goes.
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 17-08-2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wendy,

Yes the sale continues (it's not nice to tempt an addict).

I use the dosamatic to inject fertilizer into the hose at the correct ratio.
If you mix the Bayer at a rate of 1 Tbs per gallon you would have the same
effect. The Bayer product is a systemic. It has to be sucked up by the
plant roots to make the leaves poison to the critters. Some people have
discussed in the past that the leaves of orchids may take in water and
fertilizer through the stoma. Spraying the Bayer product on the leaves
doesn't get it inside where the sucking insects get their juice.

One grower I talked to says he makes a bucket of the mix and just dips the
plants to the pot rim. The key here is to get it to the roots.

On the Enstar II....it took me several repeat applications a week apart. As
I had the mealies on the run I would isolate plants that looked clean from
the ones where I still found even one mealie. The divide and conquer method
worked for me.

I've noticed that these bugs have favorite plants. The catts seldom have
mealies but the scale really like them. Phals seem to attract the mealies
but I seldom find a scale on them. Oncids seem to attract both as do
cymbos. Even within a genera I find some Catts attract scale more often
than others.

The only genera that seems resistant to both is the Paphs.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 17-08-2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gene,

I completely agree about some plants being magnets for certain infestations.
I can't remember seeing mealies on a Catt, but I certainly have seen them on
Phals. I've never found them to be awfully hard to control, thankfully.

Scale, on the other hand, is tougher for me. I have an Angraecum, Longiscott
'Lea', which must have a "bite me" sign out. Yet nothing near it was
affected, though I treated everything nearby anyway. The Angraecum is now
healthy and in spike. What I find hardest to control is thrips, which adore
our Vandas. I think I've scared them away, happily.

For the first time ever, I had an infestation of spider mites on the Phals
earlier this year. The little sob's don't announce their presence until
they've done some damage, but we got rid of them with soap and veggie oil.
All gone.

All that makes it sound as if we've had big bug problems this year, but that
is not correct. There have been a few isolated incidents.

A while back, I posted a query about orchids blooming way out of season.
Now, that is still a mystery to me.

Diana

Old 17-08-2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,

Bugs must be a regional thing. In my 15 years of orchid growing I don't
think I've ever seen thripes but I hear about people complaining about them
all the time.

For Spidermites I keep the humidity so high in the greenhouse that they
haven't been a problem for me on orchids but every year I have a trouble
with them on a calomodin orange tree that I've had for 40 years. About
Christmas time after being in the house for 2 months I can depend on them
showing up on that. A spray of an indoor plant insecticide usually gets rid
of them. Sometimes I have to come back a couple of weeks later for another
hit.

I understand the isolated bug problem. It only takes a few bugs on a
favorite plant to spoil your day. The damage from the scale lives on a leaf
forever. I have a couple of Catts that look like they had a bad case of
chicken pox with the scars of scale. Luckily theres a new growth to make
it look fresh and new.

Good growing,
Gene

. ..

Old 17-08-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gene,

Given that we down here in FL mainly grow outside under screen or in shade
houses, it's more difficult to control humidity. Of course, during most of
the year we have decently high humidity anyway. The exception is the dead of
winter.

There are so many thrip and scale magnets down here. We have two huge
gardenia bushes (which under no circumstances would I give up), and every
year they attract thrips *and* scale. We now treat the gardenias
prophylactically; it's the only way to avoid them. A mango tree likes white
scale, or vice versa, I suppose. Citrus trees get scale and mites
occasionally. Can't treat anything edible with toxic chems, so we use oil
based stuff.

Ugh. Bugs! Let's talk about something positive, like the fact that we were
over run by Catts in bloom in July, and August isn't too shabby either! ;o)

Diana

Old 19-08-2006, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gene,

Post warning signs low enough for rabbits to read!

Joanna

P.S.: The above is a paraphrase from Douglas Adams book "Dirk Gently's
Holistic Detective Agency." Where did my copy of that book go? I hope a
rabbit has not eaten it!

Old 19-08-2006, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ah, good, no rabbit nor any pre-toddler ate this book after all, so here is
a bit of quoted text from Douglas Adams "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective
Agency": (this is a snippet of a very long message being left on an
answering machine)

quote That reminds me, God, I hope I remembered to pack the shotguns. What
is it with these Americans that they're always so mad to shoot my rabbits? I
bought them some maps in the hope that I can persuade them to go on long
healthy walks and take their minds off shooting rabbits. I really feel sorry
for the creatures. I think I should put one of those signs on my lawn when
the Americans are coming, you know, like they have in Beverly Hills, saying
'Armed Response.'

Make a note to Susan, would you please, to get an 'Armed Response' sign made
up with a sharp spike on the bottom at the right height for rabbits to see.
That's secretary Susan at the office, not you, of course./quote

Get the book!

Joanna

Old 19-08-2006, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gene,

In fictional novels they can of course.

In reality rabbits have about the intelligence of a cat, I believe. At least
the pet rabbits that I have encountered were kind of like cats, only ones
that hop about and gnaw on everything. But rabbits cannot do CAT scans, nor
do they have any orchids named after them (Cattleya, but no Rabbittleya), so
I guess cats are superior after all.

Joanna

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Can rabbits read?

Old 19-08-2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I remember having a large white rabbit, back in the early 80's that I
would let run in our yard out back. One day, while I was sitting in
the kitchen, drinking coffee and watching this rabbit, I noticed a
neighborhood stray cat stalking my rabbit! I decided to see what would
happen.
The cat got closer and closer, but my rabbit didn't seem to notice ...
he continued to move about, happily munching the grass. I got out of
my chair, intending to scare away the cat and save the stupid rabbit.
All of a sudden, before I had done anything, that rabbit jumped
straight up into the air, and kicked the cat with both back paws
directly in it's face!!!
The cat let out an awful screech and ran as fast as it could. I was
standing there, in the kitchen, with my mouth hanging open ...
dumbfounded. The rabbit scooted around the yard a couple times,
running and jumping and then settled down to continue eating, as if
nothing had happened.
My respect for rabbits and their courage and intelligence, remains to
this day.
Bob

Old 19-08-2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Heh, heh, heh....

Cats and rabbits are natural, mortal enemies! One day, Casper the Wonder Cat
was stopped in mid-prance by something outside the patio screen. He stood
like a statue; nothing moved, not even a whisker. When I followed his gaze,
I saw a little brown bunny on the lawn. Then the rabbit realized an enemy
was near, and it, too, stood stock still.

The standoff ended when the rabbit got tired of playing the game and took
off. It's a wonder Casper didn't suffocate from holding his breath!

Diana

Old 19-08-2006, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If you have not read a book called "Watership Down" by Richard Adams, you
might enjoy it. Not about orchids, about rabbits. A lot about their
biology and behavior is factually presented, at least it feel factual on
reading. If I remember correctly there is an afterwards that separates fact
from fiction, but it is a fictional story about a colony of rabbits on the
move. Fun book and they are kind of clever.

ups.com...

Old 20-08-2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Al, thanks for reminding me of that book! I read it so long ago, and now I
will need to go get it again. That is, provided I can wench myself away from
repotting...

Diana

"Al" wrote in message
If you have not read a book called "Watership Down" by Richard Adams, you
might enjoy it. Not about orchids, about rabbits. A lot about their
biology and behavior is factually presented, at least it feel factual on
reading. If I remember correctly there is an afterwards that separates
fact from fiction, but it is a fictional story about a colony of rabbits
on the move. Fun book and they are kind of clever.

ups.com...