Old 20-08-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Angraecum and Aerangis mounted Orchids

Hi -
I am new to this Group. I am growing (and just acquired) some Aerangis
and Angraecum mounted orchids. Would enjoy hearing from others who grow
these species and what their experiences have been. Thanks.

ALAN

Old 20-08-2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Alan and welcome!
You may have read about the Angraecum I have? I also have an Aerangis
citrata that I mounted on cork bark. I tied the plant to the bark with
strips of nylon (pantyhose) and then covered the roots with a thin
layer of long fibered sphagnum moss. The plant has been like this for
about a year or so, and seems to be doing well. It flowered once so
far, and grew a new leaf and a couple roots.
I've read in the literature that Aerangis citrata likes to be damp and
shady while actively growing, with a slight drying out between
waterings while resting.
My plant is on a shelf in front of an ESE facing window and gets about
an hour or so of direct sun, filtered through the other plants, in the
morning during the summer, and a bit more direct sun in the winter.
When it is actively growing I try to make sure the moss never dries
out, and while resting I let it get dry, but not stay dry. I do, of
course, miss the mark on a regular basis - lol!
I hope this helps you. There are a bunch of great people here, with
lots of experience.
Bob

Old 20-08-2006, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi, Alan,

Why don't you tell us a bit about your growing conditions? Any specific
questions?

Welcome to rgo, where orchidoholics rule.....

Diana

Old 20-08-2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Welcome Alan,
In order to help, we need to know how & where you grow.
My Angraecums & Aerangis' grow in my greenhouse in intermediate conditions.
I alway go to Andy's as he grows most plants on sticks. He is also in my
growing Zone. His website has a power search & use it to check on the culture of
the various plants within the species type, paying special attention to "light,temp &
watering habits".

http://www.andysorchids.com/SearchResults.asp

Hope this helps, good luck & keep in touch.
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 26-08-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hello again,
Thanks for your replies. I am in New Jersey, and I grow my orchids -
all mostly mounted - in front of my East-facing sliding glass patio
door. They get full sun in the early mornings until about 1:00PM. I
water them all daily. They grow happily with all of my Streptocarpus
which are normally in bloom non-stop.
I find that I have much greater success with Mounted orchids, in that
they bloom alot more easily for me than any potted orchid ever had. I
am in love with Paphs/Phrags, but was never able to get them to bloom,
so had to buy them in spike/bud.
The mounted orchids seem to grow alot faster, healthier and happier for
me.
Here are some of my mounted orchids:-- Aerangis biloba, Angraecum
didieri, Sedeira Japonica, Dendrobium auriculatum, aerangis luteo-alba.

Old 26-08-2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Alan,

All the best advice boils down to this: It ain't broke, so why fix it? What
you are doing seems to be working for you.

Stick around, though. You'll find loads of great information here.

Diana

Old 26-08-2006, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There are probably two reasons "mounties" do so well for you compared to
potted plants: You never have to worry about the root systems not getting
sufficient air, and by watering daily, you're probably feeding them more
actual nutrients than those in pots.

oups.com...