Old 06-10-2006, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Paph flowering

Howdy neighbors!
I have a noID paph that is really, really, really slow developing its
flower. The spike first started growing in July and is still not near
opening.
It is growing though. The plant itself ... the leaves are green, with
barely discernible mottling. I don't know if the mottling is so faint
from culture or genetics. The stem is dark reddish and pubescent. I'm
guessing it might be a vini-coloured Maudiae, judging by what I can see
of the flower bud.
Is it 'normal' for some paphs to develop so slowly? Does it have
something to do with the color? I have a green and white Maudiae type
that develops much faster.
Thanks in advance!
I Hope this note finds each of you in good health and Spirit. Our
sixth grandchild was born a few weeks ago, healthy and cute as a
button!
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa - also getting ready to bloom is Slc (Lc
Jungle Elf x Soph cernua), and Pths 'groybii' is just about finished.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bob,
Paph malipoense, for example, develops its spike/bud for 6 months before
flowering. It is unlikely though that yours is a malipoense, since it is
very different from Maudiae and highly unlikely to be sold as a noID. But my
point is that yes, it is normal for some paphs to be slower in developing
flowers than others. Personally I like long spiking periods, since they
prolong the activity phase of the plant, a lot of very visible activity
often drastic changing from day to day or at least week to week, and the
spike and bud are a promise that builds the anticipation and makes me smile.
Enjoy your spiking paph,
Joanna

"bobc" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Paph. Psyche x Paph Macabre Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchid Photos 2 20-05-2008 09:27 PM
Paph Margaret Crandall(Paph Vanguard 'Knob Creek' X moquetteanum) v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 23-04-2008 11:32 PM
Paph kolopakingii x Paph praestans Gene Schurg Orchids 4 12-05-2005 02:24 PM
Paph. Bellatulum molli Orchids 2 07-02-2003 02:25 AM
Paph problems Jbkkhawk Orchids 28 30-01-2003 11:49 PM