Old 09-10-2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Lighting

I'm looking for a way to suppliment my plants with lighting during the day
this winter. Are halogen lights, like shop lights on a stand, sufficient.
The plants are near or in windows, but I have too many plant and not enough
windows.

Andie Z

Old 09-10-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 18:43:30 GMT in mLwWg.6026$K11.1132@trndny07 Andie Z wrote:
I'm looking for a way to suppliment my plants with lighting during the day
this winter. Are halogen lights, like shop lights on a stand, sufficient.
The plants are near or in windows, but I have too many plant and not enough
windows.

Halogen lights may not give you the most light for energy used and will
tend to warm the room a bit.
You also don't mention what you're growing.

I have no problem reblooming oncids and phrags under 4 4' T12 tubes. over
a 2'x4' area.
I've yet to rebloom a dendrobium in those conditions tho'.

Andie Z

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 10-10-2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Andie Z wrote:
I'm looking for a way to suppliment my plants with lighting during the day
this winter. Are halogen lights, like shop lights on a stand, sufficient.
The plants are near or in windows, but I have too many plant and not enough
windows.

They will make the room hot as Hell. Halogens aren't very efficient.

J. Del Col

Old 11-10-2006, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think Chris has the most cost effective solution with T12
fluorescent. Halogen is not mentioned much for plant lights in these
forums although it does make a good heater. There are two other types
that are popular, T5 fluorescent (Expensive) and compact fluorescent,
which are used as spot lighting although some folk are using the 125
WATT units for larger applications.If you search this forum for
lighting you will be covered up with information.
One T5 source is at;

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...res_35_ctg.htm

That should give you the T5 info. Note that the Hi-Bay units focus the
light correctly for plant lighting and the silvered reflectors capture
all the uplight and redirect it to the plant. Good $tuff ;-)).

The whole lighting thing has to be cut to fit your situation and
budget.

Joe T

Old 11-10-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 10 Oct 2006 20:00:50 -0700 in .com jtill wrote:
I think Chris has the most cost effective solution with T12
fluorescent. Halogen is not mentioned much for plant lights in these
forums although it does make a good heater. There are two other types
that are popular, T5 fluorescent (Expensive) and compact fluorescent,
which are used as spot lighting although some folk are using the 125
WATT units for larger applications.If you search this forum for
lighting you will be covered up with information.
One T5 source is at;

If you can find T8 fixtures as salvage or used, they should have a slightly
better price point for replacement bulbs, if you don't mind buying them
by the gross.
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
to the strain... much like attacking a tank with a wiffle bat

Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
"Artifical" lighting -- Any successes? Jo Edible Gardening 16 08-02-2003 05:31 AM
Indoor Lighting-System news Orchids 12 06-02-2003 04:43 AM
Old Ponders ... Full Spectrum Lighting D K Ponds 11 30-01-2003 10:39 PM
Agro Lighting, good?? Maurizio Leo Bonsai 0 27-01-2003 05:33 PM