Old 30-10-2006, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Two Spikes?

I have a moth orchid that has bloomed for me twice before. It's been
looking fat for a few months, but now two spikes? Is that possible?

I'm fertilizing it weakly, weekly, but anything else I should do?

--Kurt

Old 31-10-2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kurt,

Congratulations! The older the Phal, the more spikes it should be able to
get, and some Phals seem to be easier to get to have multiple spikes than
others. Some Phals will reuse the older spikes in future years and grow new
ones in addition, thus resulting in multiple spikes, even when only one
spike is added per year. Other Phals produce multiple spikes at once, which
then may grow dry and be discarded only to be replaced by the same number or
more spikes the next season.

I remember being thrilled the first time I had two spikes. Now I have become
more jaded, and eventhough every spike still provides me a thrill, but since
I have a few Phals with four spikes, I am now greedy and would like at least
one of my Phals to produce five spikes. :-)

Enjoy,
Joanna

. ..

Old 31-10-2006, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Joanna,

I had one with seven last year. Multiple crowns and happy as a clam. Until
botritis hit. Dang! Hoping for seven again this year, and no spots.

Kurt,

Enjoy your Phal and don't leave water on the blooms late in the day!

Diana

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Kurt,

Congratulations! The older the Phal, the more spikes it should be able to
get, and some Phals seem to be easier to get to have multiple spikes than
others. Some Phals will reuse the older spikes in future years and grow
new ones in addition, thus resulting in multiple spikes, even when only
one spike is added per year. Other Phals produce multiple spikes at once,
which then may grow dry and be discarded only to be replaced by the same
number or more spikes the next season.

I remember being thrilled the first time I had two spikes. Now I have
become more jaded, and eventhough every spike still provides me a thrill,
but since I have a few Phals with four spikes, I am now greedy and would
like at least one of my Phals to produce five spikes. :-)

Enjoy,
Joanna

. ..

Old 31-10-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Joanna,

I had one with seven last year. Multiple crowns and happy as a clam. Until
botritis hit. Dang! Hoping for seven again this year, and no spots.

Seven? .... Wow! .... Seven?
Wow!
Bob
PS - thanks Joanna for the input on my Paph question. The second spike
is starting to move (from the newer growth) and is starting to swell.
The color is like raspberry, but pastel. Kinda odd ... more
interesting than pretty, for me.

Old 29-11-2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

J Fortuna wrote:
Kurt,

Congratulations! The older the Phal, the more spikes it should be able to
get, and some Phals seem to be easier to get to have multiple spikes than
others.

Well, I swear it look it looked like a spike, but it finally grew the
dried jade green shell of an aerial root (straight up 6"). I guess I'll
have to contend myself with a single spike and it's next door neighbor
just started a spike as well.

Wow, 4 & 7 that's just amazing.

--Kurt