Old 25-11-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Marketing

Furthering the subject on the economic forces in the orchid business I
wonder if somehow a page could be taken from marketing novels.

These days mid list and low list authors don't expect their publishers to
market their novels. Increasingly the authors have to do it themselves,
book signings, attendance at fan conventions, sitting on panels at same. In
mystery novels (which I read) authors have blogs & web pages which are
regularly updated (RSS feeds) to keep the public aware of their books,
appearences etc.

Reportedly, Michael Connelly spent $10K to create a 10 minute mini film -
almost like a movie trailer - for his newest book, 'Echo Park' (available on
You Tube) and he says he had the biggest first day sales ever. Another
author made a trailer using the movie feature on her digital camera. So one
doesn't need to spend big bucks to achieve results.

Anyway, I wondered if somehow vendors could adapt these ideas to their
orchids. Mini movies of the flowers from different directions instead of a
static picture. MP3 voice overs of what the breeder intended from the
cross. ("We're expecting pinks into salmon art shades with this cross, given
the Goldenzelle background.") You Tube videos of, what.... potting
materials, what they look and feel like? (I dunno, I'm just brain storming
here...) or what its like walking around their GHs. Or what's in bloom this
month.

Just an idea.

Look at Michael Connelly's web page or Barbara Fradkin's
http://www.barbarafradkin.com/

K Barrett

Old 25-11-2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:

Anyway, I wondered if somehow vendors could adapt these ideas to their
orchids. Mini movies of the flowers from different directions instead of a
static picture. MP3 voice overs of what the breeder intended from the
cross. ("We're expecting pinks into salmon art shades with this cross, given
the Goldenzelle background.") You Tube videos of, what.... potting
materials, what they look and feel like? (I dunno, I'm just brain storming
here...) or what its like walking around their GHs. Or what's in bloom this
month.

Just an idea.
K Barrett

T. listed a tiller for sale and included a link for about a 20 second
video of it running with audio. It's got a lot of watchers, etc.

I wish I'd done the same for one of my orchids when it bloomed last
year. Audio wouldn't help much unless I narrated. I think nice music,
with the orchid featured on a turntable. It had 24 open blooms, all
were 8" in diameter. It was a mass of lavender 360 degrees around the
plant instead of a usual facing presentation.

BTW, it was the Bc Springtide that you so kindly researched for me
about 2 years ago. When the ice age comes, archeologists or coroners
will find a division of that poor frozen orchid beside my poor frozen
body. ;-)))

Nancy

Old 25-11-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Nancy G." wrote in message
oups.com...

K Barrett wrote:

[...]

There's an ad in the theaters for Sprite soda at the start of the new Bond
flick, showing a GH worker spraying Sprite on Phalaenopsis, which grow lips
(and teeth?) and, well, the imagination takes it from there... very cool
idea.

K Barrett

Old 25-11-2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

"Nancy G." wrote in message
oups.com...

K Barrett wrote:

[...]

Similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpGGfZrVlM

K Barrett

Old 26-11-2006, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

"Nancy G." wrote in message
groups.com...

K Barrett wrote:

[...]

Maybe this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBxvf...0embed%20relax

Steve

Old 26-11-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Steve" wrote in message
K Barrett wrote:
"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

[...]