Old 23-12-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Larry Dighera's Avatar
Registered User

Default Mexican Orchid Species Resource

I stumbled across this vast archive of what appears to be a Mexican
species manuscript. It is very professionally compiled, but most of
it appears to be written in Spanish (unfortunately, I only understand
English). Here's the link:

http://www.conabio.gob.mx/institucio...os/resultados/

Look for the six files whose names begin with 'InfP107' as they are
written in English, and contain a list of orchid species.

If anyone can provide more information about this, I'd be
appreciative.

Old 23-12-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Larry

I don't speak Spanish either but using AltaVista Babel
http://babelfish.altavista.com/ the introduction translates from:

"Este estudio tiene como finalidad la actualización de la nomenclatura de
los taxa mexicanos de la familia
Orchidaceae mediante el estudio crítico de los tipos existentes y una
revisión extensiva de material
adicional y la literatura del tema, así como la resolución de los problemas
de tipificación existentes de los
nombres basados en material mexicano."

"This study has as purpose the update of the nomenclature of taxa Mexican of
the Orchidaceae family by means of the critical study of the existing types
and an extensive revision of additional material and the literature of the
subject, as well as the resolution of the existing problems of tipificación
of the names based on Mexican material."

Despite it having a posting date of April 2006, the report was completed in
October 1995 which makes it reasonably old by current taxonomy standards.

Nevertheless, it is a very interesting report which I have downloaded for
future reference. The beauty is that it is a searchable PDF file!

(My wish for next Christmas - that the AOS would publish on its web page a
searchable cumulative index in PDF format of all issues of the AOS
bulletin/orchids magazine which would make my collection so much more
useful! I can but dream.....)

Larry, thanks for posting this interesting link.

Cheers

John

Old 24-12-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John,

Alex Maximiano is compiling something or other for AOS. I cannot remember
whether it is the AQs or an index for Orchids. Alex, are you out there?

Diana

m...

Old 24-12-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The picture ref database at the London, Ontario Orchid Society site can help
you find stuff about a particular species as long as there was a picture
with the article, http://los.lon.imag.net/picref.asp. This is a great
resource.
-danny

Old 24-12-2006, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,

OrchidWiz Encyclopedia 4.0, coming out at the end of April, will allow users
to search the titles of all the Orchids bulletins as well as Orchid Digest.
The work in preparing for this is mostly complete and is independent of any
AOS project.

As for the AOS, there has been a lot of talk about reproducing the Orchids
bulletins in a searchable digital publication. My understanding is that
this project was stalled for awhile but is alive again. However, no one
there has officially conctated me about it nor am I involved in that project
in any way. I support the AOS so if they contact me I will do the best I
can.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards and Happy Holidays!

Alex

Old 24-12-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Alex,

Let me get this straight... It'll have the index to the 'AOS Bulletins' as
well as 'Orchids'? Or just 'Orchids'?

K Barrett

.. .

Old 25-12-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That is pretty cool, Danny. I bookmarked it. Alex, thanks for the response.
I'll look forward to OrchidWiz 4.

Merry Christmas!

Diana

Old 29-12-2006, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy,

It will cover all, or almost all of the issues since 1932, regardless of the
name. However, it will cover only the titles and authors, not the content.
In other words, if you're looking for "cattleya" it will give you every
title, author and publication with "cattleya" or "cattleyas" as part of the
title. It will not give you every article with the word "cattleya" in it.

I hope this helps. If you have other questions please let me know.

Best regards,

Alex

Old 29-12-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Alex and Diana

Late reply due to computer crash!!

This is good news as the magazines are almost useless without a cumulative
index. I haven't the time to wade through 25 + years of magazines to find a
particular article so the magazines sit on my bookshelves gathering dust.
Look impressive but totally useless after they have been read and filed.

I was about to start scanning the indices myself - might still do it -and
making a cumulative index that I could search.

Good luck and Happy New Year to all.

Cheers

John

Old 30-12-2006, 10:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John Varigos wrote:
Hi Alex and Diana

Late reply due to computer crash!!

This is good news as the magazines are almost useless without a cumulative
index. I haven't the time to wade through 25 + years of magazines to find a
particular article so the magazines sit on my bookshelves gathering dust.
Look impressive but totally useless after they have been read and filed.

I was about to start scanning the indices myself - might still do it -and
making a cumulative index that I could search.

Another choice for the time being would be to use Bob Betts' excellent
Orchid Pictures Query at http://los.lon.imag.net/picref.asp. His sources
include, among many others, AOS Bulletins from 1954 through May 2006,
Awards Quarterly from 1976 through September 2006 and Orchid Digest from
1976 through March 2006. If you found a picture, you could assume
there might also be an article about the said orchid.

Reka

Old 31-12-2006, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John, I bought the cumulative index to the AOS Bulletin a few years ago (I
think it cost $100US) and it does make the backlog of Bulletins useful. As
far as I know the AOS never made a cumulative index when the Bulletin
switched to 'Orchids'. That's why I wondered if Alex had *both* the
Bulletins and Orchids in his database. Very cool indeed. The Orchid Digest
always had had its cumulative index online at their web page, but IIRC it
was a little clumsy to use. I'm looking forward to having all of these in
one place.

K Barrett