Old 26-02-2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default bagging it and moving to FL?

On Feb 26, 3:11 pm, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:
Retirement Community-- synonym for the vestibule to the mortuary.

God's waiting rooms, for sure. There are gated communities that cater to the
retired. To me, they are so contrived and structured that it would feel like
a prison. They are full, so I guess it's just us. ...

My mother will be 86 in April. She lives in Apopka. When she was
deciding what to do after my dad died in 2004 we asked her if she
wanted to move to a retirement community. "Why would I want to live
surrounded by all those old people?" she said. She did move from
Jacksonville to Apopka, to an even bigger house in a neighborhood full
of kids. She has become an avid bird watcher, ever since a bald eagle
perched on her back fence.

J. Del Col

Old 27-02-2007, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

jadel wrote:
On Feb 26, 3:11 pm, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Retirement Community-- synonym for the vestibule to the mortuary.

God's waiting rooms, for sure. There are gated communities that cater to the
retired. To me, they are so contrived and structured that it would feel like
a prison. They are full, so I guess it's just us. ...

I have some older, retired friends who moved from the frozen wastelands
of Ohio into one of those gated communities. When I visited the first
time, I was shocked how HUGE it was; we went for miles after the gate
before reaching their home. It is a beautiful place, a lovely home and
they are very happy there. Caveat: they've never been untra social, so
it doesn't bother them they make no new friends from their neighbors.
They like the quiet and the security. They are both pursuing second
careers in their hobbies and seem quite pleased with their situation.
But their is another side for some people --

My mother will be 86 in April. She lives in Apopka. When she was
deciding what to do after my dad died in 2004 we asked her if she
wanted to move to a retirement community. "Why would I want to live
surrounded by all those old people?"

And that's it. There's a lot to be said for many folks about being in
the midst of life and the hustle and bustle of the daily grind. Keeps
them active and interested, younger in a sense. While I can't say that
when I'm at that stage I'll want to be annoyed by screaming children and
loud neighbors, I've always found the vitality of younger people
infectious, and can't imagine being surrounded only by a bunch of sedate
quiet traditional elderly. I'll still want folks to go dancing and
canoeing and skating and hiking with. I'll find a nice compromise
somewhere there's no winter...and don't worry, Mick, not FL. My friends'
experiences there in Ft.Ladida, Naples, and Titusville the last few
years have soured me on that idea. Now southern CA or the AZ desert, on
the other hand, sound very inviting...

If only there were some way to shield Key West from the
hurricanes...it's so lovely there I could see living there forever -
except for that one tiny problem!
Old 27-02-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 26, 11:48 pm, tennis maynard

If only there were some way to shield Key West from the
hurricanes...it's so lovely there I could see living there forever -
except for that one tiny problem!

absolutley-! i love KW.

and speaking of port st lucie:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/02/16.../16havens.html

although i just saw something about retirees moving back north... some
stats about FL too..

ah:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/us...=1&oref=slogin

--j_a

Old 27-02-2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 27, 9:42 am, wrote:
On Feb 26, 11:48 pm, tennis maynard

although i just saw something about retirees moving back north... some

stats about FL too..

Unfortunately, there are still way too many people moving to FL. The
state is rapidly becoming a wasteland of housing developments and
shopping malls, New Jersey with palm trees.

The Empire of the Rat and its clones have all but destroyed Orlando.

Read Carl Hiassen's book -Paradise Screwed-- for a good account of
what's become of the Sunshine State. His novels are funny, too,
loaded with stereotypes, but very funny.

J. Del Col

Old 27-02-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 27 Feb 2007 07:20:47 -0800, jadel wrote:

Read Carl Hiassen's book -Paradise Screwed-- for a good account of
what's become of the Sunshine State. His novels are funny, too,
loaded with stereotypes, but very funny.

Read them all, my favorite author.

Bob

Old 27-02-2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message
On 27 Feb 2007 07:20:47 -0800, jadel wrote:

Read Carl Hiassen's book -Paradise Screwed-- for a good account of
what's become of the Sunshine State. His novels are funny, too,
loaded with stereotypes, but very funny.

Read them all, my favorite author.

Bob

I hear Panama is the next Costa Rica. Supposedly Costa Rica is having
problems with increased crime and kidnappings making Panama safe by
comparison. Anyone else buying that? *G*

K Barrett

Old 27-02-2007, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

anyone else buying that? *G*

Nope! Love Carl Hiassen. That man is seriously warped.

Diana

Old 27-02-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Now southern CA or the AZ desert, on
the other hand, sound very inviting...

Moving to Montana soon ...
Gonna be a Dental Floss Tycoon!
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia!

Old 27-02-2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Shouldn't that be "Mentle toss flycoon"?

oups.com...