Old 15-05-2007, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Default Paph kolopakingii var alba?

It sounds like they are all coming from the same wholesaler in Hawaii
AND one Paph breeder believes he even knows which parent plant is
throwing these albas. It was an odd experience to talk with so many
people over the last few days who were able to tell me where my plant
came from. They all seemed to know already and had their eyes and
ears open for more....

Orchid people are crazy. Somebody should keep an eye on them.

The walls have eyes... I think you did the right thing though. I know
exactly who you are selling (and sending) the plant to, and you picked a
good home.

It is kind of scary that I know who you are talking about. I guess you
are right. Hopefully nobody is watching me... *grin*

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 15-05-2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Things can definitely get a little weird when select paphs are involved...
-danny

Old 15-05-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 15, 12:21 pm, "danny" wrote:
Things can definitely get a little weird when select paphs are involved...
-danny

I can imagine this little episode produced a nervous jump in the
stomachs of many people for various reasons. I do hope everything
settles out in such a way that everybody gets what they were hoping to
get before I got things a bit tangled up here in this very public
unmoderated forum where any fool can put his foot in almost anybody's
mouth and not even know he's doing it. :-)

Old 16-05-2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 15, 7:50 pm, "Ray B" wrote:
I have never seen the appeal of albas...

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

chuckle.

When the lightening of fortune strikes your greenhouse and you
discover the elusive but personally unappealing Paph lowii var. album
out there in the afterglow, I can send you a lengthy list of people
who wish to be contacted first before anyone else if you want to rid
yourself of it quickly. Handled correctly, that sale might pay for a
few semesters of college.

Old 16-05-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Al has thusly spoke: "Handled correctly, that sale might pay for a few
semesters of college."

....which, of course, I could REALLY use.

I suspect, however, that if such an ephemeral creature ever appears, I
probably won't think much of its worth and will get rid of it in a manner
that will make it the recipient's good fortune, not mine.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 16-05-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Ray B" wrote in message

I suspect, however, that if such an ephemeral creature ever appears, I
probably won't think much of its worth and will get rid of it in a manner
that will make it the recipient's good fortune, not mine.

Ditto.

K Barrett

Old 16-05-2007, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 15, 9:11 pm, "Ray B" wrote:
Al has thusly spoke: "Handled correctly, that sale might pay for a few
semesters of college."

...which, of course, I could REALLY use.

I suspect, however, that if such an ephemeral creature ever appears, I
probably won't think much of its worth and will get rid of it in a manner
that will make it the recipient's good fortune, not mine.

Well I did spoke thusly and I am going to spoke thusly again ;-)

I had to think of its worth. I have no other means of support. I
think of the worth of all of the plants I sell. I think the people
who pay for those are getting good fortune for the price too. And I
think the people who chose to keep their money in their pocket know
where their fortune lies or lays, whatever...

I also think of the expenses of keeping them around. I like growing
orchids. Selling them is a necessity. They don't have to be rare.
In fact considering how this alba made me feel just having it around I
probably would rather just grow and sell the other kind.

There are people who think I should have held out for 4 or 5 times
what I sold it for and I can not even imagine that. There may even be
people who would pay that much, some of them didn't get to me fast
enough, apparenly. I feel I got fair value and good fortune for my
plant and I think those who bought it feel the same way. I think
those who would pay 4 to 5 times more will also pay for the names of
the people I sold it to, if they can't figure it out.

But do remember i have that list now, and there is no reason you
shouldn't think of its worth that I can think of if you find such a
plant in a wholesale coffin from hawaii. It sure can't happen often.
I wouldn't sell it to you. I will give it to you freely.

speak amongsth thyselves. I may spoke thusly again later.

Paph. Deperle var. alba - 2 attachments Jason[_2_] Orchid Photos 3 07-07-2007 09:34 PM
Paph bellatulum x kolopakingii Gene Schurg Orchid Photos 1 23-11-2006 02:25 PM
Paph kolopakingii x Paph praestans Gene Schurg Orchids 4 12-05-2005 02:24 PM
paph kolopakingii? Dada Orchids 5 04-09-2004 06:21 AM
paph kolopakingii? Dada Orchids 0 27-08-2004 06:05 PM