Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Paph kolopakingii var alba?

Does anyone have any info on this creature? If the internet is to be
believed, it does not exist...no mention of one anyway. I am not
asking about topperi, the 'green form' of kolopakingii. I think I
have true alba form blooming in my greenhouse and I find it hard to
believe that I have the only one ever seen.

Old 13-05-2007, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

And also to abpo!

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Best to send a picture to Koopowitz:

K Barrett

ups.com...

Old 13-05-2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 12, 6:18 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
Best to send a picture to Koopowitz:

K Barrett

wrote in message

ups.com...

Does anyone have any info on this creature? If the internet is to be
believed, it does not exist...no mention of one anyway. I am not
asking about topperi, the 'green form' of kolopakingii. I think I
have true alba form blooming in my greenhouse and I find it hard to
believe that I have the only one ever seen.- Hide quoted text -

I found an email reply in my email this morning. Apparently an alba
was awarded a CHM in Atlanta in April. You AOS judges should be able
to confirm this. I also hear that Koopowitz is writing it up for the
next issue of Orchid Digest. The scuttlebut is that the man who got
the CHM had several of them bloom out of a batch of topperi seedlings
and may have already dispersed a few to some Paph breeders. I don't
know if this is sensative info or not; conscidering who sent it to me,
I don't know why they didn't post the answer here themselves.

Old 13-05-2007, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 12, 6:18 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
Best to send a picture to Koopowitz:

K Barrett

wrote in message

ups.com...

Does anyone have any info on this creature? If the internet is to be
believed, it does not exist...no mention of one anyway. I am not
asking about topperi, the 'green form' of kolopakingii. I think I
have true alba form blooming in my greenhouse and I find it hard to
believe that I have the only one ever seen.- Hide quoted text -

I found an email reply in my email this morning. Apparently an alba
was awarded a CHM in Atlanta in April. You AOS judges should be able
to confirm this. I also hear that Koopowitz is writing it up for the
next issue of Orchid Digest. The scuttlebut is that the man who got
the CHM had several of them bloom out of a batch of topperi seedlings
and may have already dispersed a few to some Paph breeders. I don't
know if this is sensative info or not; conscidering who sent it to me,
I don't know why they didn't post the answer here themselves.

If there was one awarded in April in Atlanta its picture didn't get into the
Atlanta Orchid Society's newsletter. I don't see that the Atlanta Center
has its own web page, either. Pity.

K Barrett

Old 14-05-2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 12, 5:01 pm, wrote:
Does anyone have any info on this creature? If the internet is to be
believed, it does not exist...no mention of one anyway. I am not
asking about topperi, the 'green form' of kolopakingii. I think I
have true alba form blooming in my greenhouse and I find it hard to
believe that I have the only one ever seen.

http://www.orchidexchange.com/Photos/web1909.htm

It is not the first, apparently. Just the second ever seen.

Here are pictures of my plant. I am calling it;
Paph. kolopakingii var. alba 'Millie's Ghost' for the time being.

For safety's sake, the plant is not in my greenhouse nor on my
property, but is being kept in an undisclosed location. Honestly. I
do not wish to step on anyone's toes here. But this is my plant and I
want to show it off.

Old 15-05-2007, 05:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On 14 May 2007 15:07:44 -0700, wrote:
http://www.orchidexchange.com/Photos/web1909.htm

It is not the first, apparently. Just the second ever seen.

Here are pictures of my plant. I am calling it;
Paph. kolopakingii var. alba 'Millie's Ghost' for the time being.

For safety's sake, the plant is not in my greenhouse nor on my
property, but is being kept in an undisclosed location. Honestly. I
do not wish to step on anyone's toes here. But this is my plant and I
want to show it off.

Millie has a beautiful Ghost. Congratulations.
SuE
Old 15-05-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 12, 6:18 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
Best to send a picture to Koopowitz:

K Barrett

wrote in message

ups.com...

Does anyone have any info on this creature? If the internet is to be
believed, it does not exist...no mention of one anyway. I am not
asking about topperi, the 'green form' of kolopakingii. I think I
have true alba form blooming in my greenhouse and I find it hard to
believe that I have the only one ever seen.- Hide quoted text -

I sold the alba last night. I am shipping it today. It is very
pretty but I am not worthy of it. And having it around would worry me
too much. The man who bought it lives in a penthouse in New York City
and is known by Paph breeders as a primary collector of alba Paphs and
awarded cvultivars. He is having me ship it directly to a famous Paph
breeder who also called me last night to make an offer which I
ultimately turned down; in addtion to $, he promised me flasks of the
offspring, which may have been the better deal in the long run, but...
Actually, all offers were exceedling generous and even bordered on
insanity, from my point of view. Ultimately I went with the most
insane. However, in the end, it will be going into the hands of two
people who can probably do much with it with regard to future alba
breeding lines in the coryopedilum paph group and everybody seems
happy.

Actually I learned last night that three other albas have shown show
up recently. Two were sold for about the same as I sold mine, if my
information is correct. The fourth is being kept in an undisclosed
location with a seed capsule on it; this is the one mentioned as
having received the CHM in Atlanta.

It sounds like they are all coming from the same wholesaler in Hawaii
AND one Paph breeder believes he even knows which parent plant is
throwing these albas. It was an odd experience to talk with so many
people over the last few days who were able to tell me where my plant
came from. They all seemed to know already and had their eyes and
ears open for more....

Orchid people are crazy. Somebody should keep an eye on them.

Old 15-05-2007, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

It sounds like they are all coming from the same wholesaler in Hawaii
AND one Paph breeder believes he even knows which parent plant is
throwing these albas. It was an odd experience to talk with so many
people over the last few days who were able to tell me where my plant
came from. They all seemed to know already and had their eyes and
ears open for more....

Orchid people are crazy. Somebody should keep an eye on them.

The walls have eyes... I think you did the right thing though. I know
exactly who you are selling (and sending) the plant to, and you picked a
good home.

It is kind of scary that I know who you are talking about. I guess you
are right. Hopefully nobody is watching me... *grin*

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 15-05-2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Things can definitely get a little weird when select paphs are involved...
-danny

Old 15-05-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 15, 12:21 pm, "danny" wrote:
Things can definitely get a little weird when select paphs are involved...
-danny

I can imagine this little episode produced a nervous jump in the
stomachs of many people for various reasons. I do hope everything
settles out in such a way that everybody gets what they were hoping to
get before I got things a bit tangled up here in this very public
unmoderated forum where any fool can put his foot in almost anybody's
mouth and not even know he's doing it. :-)

Old 16-05-2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 15, 7:50 pm, "Ray B" wrote:
I have never seen the appeal of albas...

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

chuckle.

When the lightening of fortune strikes your greenhouse and you
discover the elusive but personally unappealing Paph lowii var. album
out there in the afterglow, I can send you a lengthy list of people
who wish to be contacted first before anyone else if you want to rid
yourself of it quickly. Handled correctly, that sale might pay for a
few semesters of college.

Old 16-05-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Al has thusly spoke: "Handled correctly, that sale might pay for a few
semesters of college."

....which, of course, I could REALLY use.

I suspect, however, that if such an ephemeral creature ever appears, I
probably won't think much of its worth and will get rid of it in a manner
that will make it the recipient's good fortune, not mine.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 16-05-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Ray B" wrote in message

I suspect, however, that if such an ephemeral creature ever appears, I
probably won't think much of its worth and will get rid of it in a manner
that will make it the recipient's good fortune, not mine.

Ditto.

K Barrett

Paph. Deperle var. alba - 2 attachments Jason[_2_] Orchid Photos 3 07-07-2007 09:34 PM
Paph bellatulum x kolopakingii Gene Schurg Orchid Photos 1 23-11-2006 02:25 PM
Paph kolopakingii x Paph praestans Gene Schurg Orchids 4 12-05-2005 02:24 PM
paph kolopakingii? Dada Orchids 5 04-09-2004 06:21 AM
paph kolopakingii? Dada Orchids 0 27-08-2004 06:05 PM