Old 16-05-2007, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default dendrobium re-potting / splitting

greetings,

i think my dendrobium may be in need of a repot. it's grown 4x it's size
since i got it 3 years ago. in january 2007, it had over 35 flowering spikes
with lots of tiny fragrant flowers. currently, it has put out two new
flowering spikes and has sprouted about 10 to 12 keiki's.

my questions a
* should i repot?

* is now a good time to repot?

* should i split the plant in half? it's grown rather large. i count 47
canes,
7 of them are new growths.

* does it do well in S/H?

thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 16-05-2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There are different kinds of dendrobiums, I would never offer any advice
without at least some vague idea of which ones you're dealing with.
-danny

Old 17-05-2007, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

hi Danny,

i'm not sure what it is - the id tag doesn't list a name,
but here is a link to a pic:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...ylang/den1.jpg
thanks

Old 17-05-2007, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Holly

Looks like an Australian dendrobium hybrid with some D. kingianum in its
heritage.

I would pot it up into a larger pot and let it spread out. I wouldn't break
it up as you will get quite a good specimen plant over the next few years.

Now would be a good time to repot - spring in NH. Re the keikis, once they
have some reasonably sized roots, pick them off and pot up. They make
wonderful presents.

Don't have any experience with S/H query - perhaps Ray can advise. In
nature they can experience long periods of drought so the plants are used to
receiving no water for extended periods. I grow most of my native
dendrobiums outside under a jacaranda tree except for the more
subtropical/tropical species. My D. kingianums are mounted on horizontal
tree fern slabs enabling them to spread out as they grow. Avoids having to
repot them but then again, I don't have to bring them inside during winter.

~John
Melbourne, Australia

Old 17-05-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 16 May 2007 16:54:44 -0700, John Varigos wrote
(in article ) :

John's advice sounds pretty good to me. I have a D. kingianum which started
out in a 4" pot and is now thriving in S/H in a 3 gallon plastic bucket.
Takes a lot of LECA, but you won't have to repot just to refresh the medium!
Parenthetically, I have three other dendrobes doing well in S/H.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 17-05-2007, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I mostly have Dends like Roy Tokunaga and other of the alexandrae types.
I've been keeping them in small pots, tightly potted. I moved a Den Nellie
Morely into a larger 6" clay pot and am trying straight lava rock with it,
mostly for the weight. The plant is huge. When I repotted it I saw I'd
placed it in larger pots without removing the older pot twice, so it was in
a 3" square plastic pot in a 4-5" plastic pot inside a 6" clay pot.... I
have a Peng Seng that I'm trying in my cattleya bark mix.... fine bark, lava
rock/perlite about a 3:1:1 ratio. Plastic pot. I placed a sulaweisiense
(glomeratum, what have you) and an obtusisepalum in the same sort of mix.
The vendor potted these in clay pot and sphagnum moss, but the moss had gone
very sour...so into the bark and rock mix...we'll see if its too open for
their roots.

That's what I hate. I move plants into what I *think* should work and then
worry and fret that they'll go downhill because they are acclimated to teh
old mix. Granted usually they improve (even in the short term) becasue they
are no longer in the crap they were in....but I worry that teh mix
ultimately isn't what they require in nature. Like too open/airy for roots.

Well, we'll see what happens.

om...

Old 19-05-2007, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll put it in a bigger pot and perhaps
give the S/H a try, i think i have enough PA on hand for it. Think i'll try
one of the keikis on a fern slab too as Tom mentioned... Good luck K with
moving your dends.

Just curious tho, what is a 'specimen plant'?

Thanks again!