Old 05-06-2007, 10:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default wish list

On Jun 4, 9:18 pm, Robert Lorenzini wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:02:25 -0700, wrote:

...and I don't know what you mean about 'small', Gene. The
Schoenorchis fragrans have leaf spans of close to an inch! ...and
some of them are in flower.

I guess I failed to scratch that one off my list. Mine has two
spikes and the longest leaf is 3/4". How often do you water Al?
My average humidity is 65-70, temp high fiftys at nite and up
to 75 during the day with LOTS of marine air flow. I also have
a Den rigidum with similar requrements (tolerant of dry conditions).
I find I need to water more than generally recommented for
the Phals and even Catts. I think it must be the air flow.

Bob

The group of Schoenorchis fragrans hangs mounted on the north facing
side of a vertical wire bench. A North facing wire wall in a
greenhouse does not mean dark in this case There is enough light to
bloom Phals well. Right next to these plants I have a giant Phal
belina coming into bloom. The wall bench gets over-head sprinler
system watered 5 to 7 times a week. Water and/or fertilizer gets
applied in the form of 'rain' for 1/2 an hour every morning except on
cloudy days or during those weird times when the area is still damp
the morning following a watering. Everything in this watering zone is
either mounted on cork slabs or in hanging baskets with very little to
no media, so it all dries out to the point of needing water at about
the same rate. I have a 'speciment plant' of Schoenorchis fragrans
that has 10 or 12 twelve crowns and blooms on and off all year. Grown
well they will form big clumps of tight little fans and still be
conscidered 'small' by some time/space warpers.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

I have grown Schoenorchis fragrans pretty much everywhere. It was one
of my first plants many (many!) years ago, and I kept it alive until
about 5 years ago when I actually read somebody else's cultural advice
and made the mistake of following it... I have a new one now that is
doing well.

Conditions similar to Al's. This plant gets watered 4 or 5 times a week
with the rest of the mounts. But when i was growing one under lights I
might have watered it 2x a week if not less, and it thrived under those
conditions as well. I don't think it can be grown in a pot, or at least
not well.

Killed a Schoenorchis miniata this winter though... grr.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

FAQ List - FAQ List - FAQ List cormaic United Kingdom 2 06-11-2003 05:37 PM
Wish List Claude Orchids 16 12-09-2003 02:02 PM
Biotech Wish List jitney sci.agriculture 29 26-04-2003 12:29 PM
Biotech Wish List jitney sci.agriculture 24 16-04-2003 09:56 AM
wish list was Burgundy Iceberg Kirra Roses 3 09-04-2003 01:56 PM