Old 30-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Peter Aitken

Default Cattleya roots

I unpotten a cattleya I have had for 5-6 months. The roots seem healthy but
there are so many of them packed into the pot there is not much room for
medium. I'm not sure what to do. Nothing? Trim some roots away? Repot in a
larger pot? Thanks.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 30-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

Peter,

First, congratulations on the healthy roots! Trimming them, in most cases,
is a good thing, as it encourages branching. Usually, if the Catt is
growing vigorously, it will need to "move up" a pot size, so after trimming
and cleaning, choose the smallest pot size that will hold both the plant and
the medium.

HTH

Diana

Old 30-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Peter Aitken

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
ink.net...
Peter,

First, congratulations on the healthy roots! Trimming them, in most

cases,
is a good thing, as it encourages branching. Usually, if the Catt is
growing vigorously, it will need to "move up" a pot size, so after

trimming
and cleaning, choose the smallest pot size that will hold both the plant

and
the medium.

HTH

Diana

Thanks for the advice. Another question if I may. Does trimming consist of
cutting off some of the roots entirely, leaving others intact? Or is it
cutting all the roots back, to (say) half their original length?

On a good note, my Massdevalia is about to bloom!

--
Peter Aitken

Old 30-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks for the advice. Another question if I may. Does trimming consist of
cutting off some of the roots entirely, leaving others intact? Or is it
cutting all the roots back, to (say) half their original length?

On a good note, my Massdevalia is about to bloom!

I would trim any mushy roots back until you find good healthy root tissue.
But I wouldn't completely cut off healthy roots just to make the plant
easier to repot, if that's what you mean. I tend to trim them evenly, as do
most of the growers around here. The plant doesn't need five miles of
roots! Whether that means half or not depends on how much you have to begin
with.

Diana

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Cattleya - dried roots jctusa Orchids 2 09-03-2008 10:21 PM
Cattleya loddigesii - lovely silky-smooth purple bifoliate cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 05-01-2007 02:04 AM
Cattleya jenmanii - classic large-flowered Cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 07:55 PM
Cattleya blooming jim Orchids 4 03-02-2003 09:55 AM