Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Tim Tim is offline

Default Question(s) concerning pod parents

Hi gang.

Confused about pod parents. what trait/traits does the pod parent pass along
to the seedling? The size or color of the lip, overall color? When I see
two pictures of orchids that have been crossed, what exactly am I looking
for? Are the traits the same for all alliances? Googled this to no avail,
unless I've been using the incorrect terms.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

there is some rumor that one of the yellow pigments in Phals is passed to
offspring via mitochondrial inheritance. I don't know if it is true. I
can't think of any other traits in orchids that are passed exclusively
through either the capsule or pollen parent.

Almost certainly a general statement could be made that the more unrelated
the parents are...(different species within the same broad interbreeding
groups)..the less likely the genes controlling the expression of a specific
trait will be found at the same location in both parents. Once you begin to
contemplate crossing two plants that are already hybrids of different
species you can't predict what you will get from just a picture of the
parents; you need some experience with the specific breeding lines
themselves and some knowledge of not only parent and grandparent generations
but also what the siblings of these parents and grandparents looked like to
have any clue what might happen.

Also, you need to start thinking in percentages. Cross these two plants and
there is a chance that 10 out of 100 offspring may bloom out with both A and
B traits combined. Be prepared to think, "Good heavens where did those
traits come from?" for the rest of the group

Old 29-06-2008, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Just getting back to the computer and wanted to follow up on a posting
from 3 weeks ago.
Tim,
I am still new to hybridizing. But I've been asking questions for a
couple years having had the opportunity to talk to some world famous
hybridizers. A hybridizer may hope in crossing two orchids to get a
certain result. Then again at an enormous breeding greenhouse in
Taiwan it appeared as though every possible crossing had been made.
"A" x "B" and also "B" x "A". However the bottom line is that it is a
roll of the DNA. The infinite number of combinations of the ?millions
of seeds with the pollinia make every seedling unique. The offspring
may appear uniform even approaching identical. More commonly there
will be a wide array of seedlings. Within that range, the hybridizer
may find the wished for result.
The experts have advised me that for example if I want the result to
be fragrant, then let the fragrant orchid be the pod parent. For a
multifloral orchid it should also be used as the pod parent. The
growth habit of the pod parent will often be transmitted to the
offspring. I'm told yellow is also a recessive quality so it too may
be better used as pod parent.

When looking at a catalogue which displays pictures of the two parents
there is no artist concept illustrating the result. If we have access
to Orchidwiz or Wildcatt databases, it is possible to check the
lineage of each side of the cross. Hybrids can be traced back maybe 16
steps or more revealing the species originally crossed. This might
give glimpses of what might occur.
.
At the World Orchid Conference in January there was a research paper
posted from Taiwan which reported the genes responsible for blue and
fragrance had been located in a phal. That started me thinking. Will
we have designer orchids? The parents might be less relevant in DNA
manipulated orchids. How do you register such? New categories in
Judging. Could DNA altered orchids be crossed with 'normal'
hybrids......yikes!
Lee

On Jun 9, 3:02*pm, "Tim" wrote:
Hi gang.

Confused about pod parents. what trait/traits does the pod parent pass along
to the seedling? *The size or color of the lip, overall color? *When I see
two pictures of orchids that have been crossed, what exactly am I looking
for? *Are the traits the same for all alliances? *Googled this to no avail,
unless I've been using the incorrect terms.

Thanks,

Tim

Differences between 6-pod and 7-pod aero gardens Chuck Olson Lawns 1 14-07-2009 01:06 AM
Question concerning pressure treated wood and ponds Roy Ponds 1 04-10-2004 12:15 AM
Another question concerning clematis Roy Gardening 0 05-08-2004 01:26 AM
plant parents Robert Arquette Orchids 0 08-02-2004 09:56 PM
Question about parents! Claude Orchids 27 20-01-2004 01:07 AM