Old 15-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.
Default Phalaenopsis in glass cylinder.

Hi all,

I have today bought two Phalaenopsis from a garden centre on 'end of season' offer, both plants were in tall, clear glass cylinder type pots. I have since cleaned both plants up, refreshing the orchid compost adding a little chopped live sphagnum moss. I have always been under the impression that orchid leaves should always be allowed to grow free and not touch glass etc. for fear of condensation damage. Therefore, do I return my new orchids to their cylinders or not? Advice please!

TIA,
Plantaganet
Old 16-08-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i'm having trouble visualizing this--can you post a pic somewhere?

--j_a
Old 17-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown[_1_] View Post
i'm having trouble visualizing this--can you post a pic somewhere?

--j_a
Get you some new pots and repot so the leaves are not cramped, A lot of the phals are sold as annuals. So they make them look nice without future growing thoughts.
Old 17-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown[_1_] View Post
i'm having trouble visualizing this--can you post a pic somewhere?

--j_a
I have just taken a pic and will post it on Photobucket tomorrow. I agree that placing the orchids in glass cylinders could just be a sales gimmick, done mainly to protect the flowers which had long since dried up. Any ideas what I could do with the cylinders? Perhaps grow filmy ferns in them.

P.
Old 17-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantaganet View Post
I have just taken a pic and will post it on Photobucket tomorrow. I agree that placing the orchids in glass cylinders could just be a sales gimmick, done mainly to protect the flowers which had long since dried up. Any ideas what I could do with the cylinders? Perhaps grow filmy ferns in them.

P.
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...t/DSCN0629.jpg

Hope this works!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
GH GH is offline

On 17 août, 23:35, Plantaganet Plantaganet.
wrote:

;810301']i'm having trouble visualizing this--can you post a pic

--
Plantaganet

You could try growing vandas if you manage to get a basket and to hang
the basket in the cylinder - roots not touching the water.