Old 29-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Al

Default Paph vietnamense taxonomy

I have only seen pictures of this flower and not too many of these. From
these pictures I think it looks like a larger and pinker delenatii and I was
wondering what is it about these plants that make them a Paph vietnamense.
Can somebody point me to a key of the Parvisepalum species that shows me
where this species fits in relation to the others? Does the native location
of the two species (delenatii and vietnamense) overlap or do they grow in
distinct areas?

Old 30-05-2003, 04:44 PM
K Barrett

Well its a paph! *Of course* the tiniest difference is cause to make a whole
new species. 'Oooh look! This one has 47 hairs along the margin of the petal
instead of 46!! It *must* be a new species!! I think I'll name it
kbarrettii!'

But seriously I'll look in OrchidDigest's mag supplement and see what
Koopowitz says.

BRB,

K Barrett

news

Old 30-05-2003, 04:56 PM
K Barrett

Pfft... all Koopowitz says is that there is considerable variation in the
color and form of P.vietnamense... big deal.

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
.net...
Well its a paph! *Of course* the tiniest difference is cause to make a

whole
new species. 'Oooh look! This one has 47 hairs along the margin of the

petal
instead of 46!! It *must* be a new species!! I think I'll name it
kbarrettii!'

But seriously I'll look in OrchidDigest's mag supplement and see what
Koopowitz says.

BRB,

K Barrett

news

Old 30-05-2003, 05:08 PM
K Barrett

Here's the link to Dr Tanaka's page on paphs. the staminode is the key
difference.
http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl.../newpaph8.html

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
.net...
Well its a paph! *Of course* the tiniest difference is cause to make a

whole
new species. 'Oooh look! This one has 47 hairs along the margin of the

petal
instead of 46!! It *must* be a new species!! I think I'll name it
kbarrettii!'

But seriously I'll look in OrchidDigest's mag supplement and see what
Koopowitz says.

BRB,

K Barrett

news

Old 30-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Al

Okay. I went back to ladyslipper.com and reviewed their photos of
vietnamense and compared them with the numerous examples of delenatii on the
site and, *maybe*, if somebody handed me two flowers and told me I was
looking at one of each, I could tell if they were lying. maybe. relative
flower size, hairy stem, triangular shaped vs. rounded staminode...

Well, I have only seen a half dozen or so delenatii up close and personal,
and never more than one flower at a time that I remember anyway, and I was
never looking at one with an eye to seeing what made it a delenatii as
opposed to something else. I am sure at one of the Paph forums I saw more
than one setting together, but at such a time I am in an 'overload'
situation and can't be trusted to do anything but spend money.

Anyway, I would be an sell for anyone convinced they were selling me a
vietnamense. "Well of course you are aware there is considerable variation
in both species but the price would be much lower if it was only a
delenatii."

I suppose there is no way to tell the plants themselves apart if there is no
flower present.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Here's the link to Dr Tanaka's page on paphs. the staminode is the key
difference.
http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl.../newpaph8.html

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
.net...
Well its a paph! *Of course* the tiniest difference is cause to make a

whole
new species. 'Oooh look! This one has 47 hairs along the margin of the

petal
instead of 46!! It *must* be a new species!! I think I'll name it
kbarrettii!'

But seriously I'll look in OrchidDigest's mag supplement and see what
Koopowitz says.

BRB,

K Barrett

news

Old 30-05-2003, 08:45 PM
A. N.

flowers are very different the staminode is the clue.
but even out of flower u can differentiated them by leaves
viet tesellations are very different, and the leaves have a smooth
surface(delenatii is a bit rough)
and also some viets are solid red under the leaves that's why tanaka confused it
with concolor.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Here's the link to Dr Tanaka's page on paphs. the staminode is the key
difference.
http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl.../newpaph8.html

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
.net...
Well its a paph! *Of course* the tiniest difference is cause to make a

whole
new species. 'Oooh look! This one has 47 hairs along the margin of the

petal
instead of 46!! It *must* be a new species!! I think I'll name it
kbarrettii!'

But seriously I'll look in OrchidDigest's mag supplement and see what
Koopowitz says.

BRB,

K Barrett

news I have only seen pictures of this flower and not too many of these.

Old 31-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

From what I have heard, vietnamense comes from a completely different
area than delanatii....and grows under different conditions...cooler, I
believe...I know nothing about whether it needs a lot of light, or
whether it needs an acidic mix like delanatii or a calcareous mix like
other parvi's...also, apparently most vietnamense are not that
great...only the best get photographed, and only in their first few days
after opening......Take care, Eric Muehlbauer in rainy cool Queens
NY.....with concolor and niveum in bloom

Old 31-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Gene Schurg

Eric,

I agree that from the pictures it's nothing special.....but some people have
to have one of everything.

I guess there is hope that it will impart something into hybrids perhaps
real red paphs?

Still raining in Northern Virginia....I've started building an arc....Two
Phals....Two Paphs....Two Catts....Two Dendrobiums....oh hell, I'm taking
them all!

Gene

"Eric Muehlbauer" wrote in message
From what I have heard, vietnamense comes from a completely different
area than delanatii....and grows under different conditions...cooler, I
believe...I know nothing about whether it needs a lot of light, or
whether it needs an acidic mix like delanatii or a calcareous mix like
other parvi's...also, apparently most vietnamense are not that
great...only the best get photographed, and only in their first few days
after opening......Take care, Eric Muehlbauer in rainy cool Queens
NY.....with concolor and niveum in bloom

POE 2007 - Paphiopedilum vietnamense - lovely fuzzy pink Paph Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:15 AM
Paphiopedilum vietnamense and Paphiopedilum hermannii CITES and the EU freeflyer Orchids 4 30-06-2005 07:04 AM
Paph kolopakingii x Paph praestans Gene Schurg Orchids 4 12-05-2005 02:24 PM
PAPHIOPEDILUM VIETNAMENSE AN Orchids 5 15-06-2003 04:20 AM
Paph vietnamense parent Gene Schurg Orchids 11 31-05-2003 04:44 PM