Old 13-07-2003, 11:13 PM
tbell

Default flowers turning brown and dropping off orchids--newbie

What type of orchids did you buy, and how have you been watering and
fertilizing? If you can post a picture on abpo, it would help.
I like to take a chance on orchids from the "big box" stores, too, but they
have very often not received adequate care, which doesn't show up until
after you've bought them. One of the first things I'd do is repot them, even
if they're in bloom, to make sure the root system is adequate to provide
water and nutrients.
Tom
Nikon Coolpix 5700
(Please remove appendix to reply by e-mail)

From: (Lil)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: 13 Jul 2003 10:53:01 -0700
Subject: flowers turning brown and dropping off orchids--newbie question

Just picked up a couple of orchids at Costco. Had the orchids in a
warm area with lots of morning and noon sun through lace curtains.

Noticed that the tips of leaves are turning yellow brown--the same
kind of look that burnt leaves have. The flowers are also getting dry
and brown and are falling off.

What is causing the problem? (I suspect humidity is too low or
underwatering.) What can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Lil