Old 04-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Chris Long

Default chilli flowers keep dropping off

hi

the flowers on my chilli plant, once they start to die, are just dropping
off the plant. the stem turns yellow rather than starting to grow a chilli,

any ideas why?

--
Chris Long
www.chris.a.long.btinternet.co.uk

(remove [spam] from email if needed)

Old 04-07-2003, 07:09 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Chris Long" wrote in message
hi

the flowers on my chilli plant, once they start to die, are just dropping
off the plant. the stem turns yellow rather than starting to grow a

chilli,

any ideas why?

Sounds like they are not being fertilised.

Are they outside and accessible by insects
?
If they are inside you may need to do some mist spraying with water and
possibly discreet inter-species sex involving the intimate use of a small
camel hair paintbrush.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 04-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Chris
Long chris.a.long@[spam] writes
hi

the flowers on my chilli plant, once they start to die, are just dropping
off the plant. the stem turns yellow rather than starting to grow a chilli,

any ideas why?

Check their ambient temperature - chillies should not drop below 20C/68F
at any time and a little more than that when they are young seedlings.
[I'll spare you the 'chilly' puns, but it's a point worth remembering.]
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "Chris Long" contains these words:

hi

the flowers on my chilli plant, once they start to die, are just dropping
off the plant. the stem turns yellow rather than starting to grow a chilli,

any ideas why?

They're not being pollinated?

--
AnneJ

Old 04-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Long wrote:

the flowers on my chilli plant, once they start to die, are just dropping
off the plant. the stem turns yellow rather than starting to grow a chilli,

any ideas why?

Too cold, too wet, too dry. Chillis must NOT stay sodden for any
length of time, and will react that way to cold (as Alan Gould
says). I have never had any trouble with them setting indoors,
and suspect that they will self-pollinate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Chris Long

thanks for the help

the chilli plants are indoors and the temperature is fine. Lost two more
flowers again today. They just dropped off stem and everything although all
surrounding stems and leaves are healthy. They are in a bright, partailly
sunny position and seem to be growing fine. Have just started to use
fertiliser. a couple of the bottom leaves have turned yellow and dropped
off. Im presuming this was because i didnt use fertiliser earlier. As for
pollination, i didn;t realise i may have to do this. One plant has grown two
chillis and I havn't touched it.