Old 17-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Danielb

Default Need advice on Cherry Trees

Hi,

I'm new to this group and gardening, having just bought my first house. I am
currently attempting to tame my back garden (the previous owners had done
nothing for a whole year), once I have expanded the lawn into the old
allotment and border I would like to plant a cherry tree. But I am not sure
about what type of tree or the best place to plant it. I want something that
will stay pretty small (under 12ft) and will withstand the Scottish weather.
Any advice on verities to look at or where to plant it?

Cheers,

Daniel

Old 17-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Al

There is a big difference between orchids, (the flowers) and orchards, (the
place fruit trees are planted). You may get an answer to your question in
this group which generally discusses orchids (the flowers), and it may even
be a good one from people who grow both fruit trees and orchids. Ask it in
rec.gardens or rec.gardens.edible and you may get many really good answers
from people who are specifically into the fruit trees.

You are not the first person to make the orchid/orchard mistake. :-)

Old 17-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Danielb

Ah thanks for pointing that out and not flaming! To rec.gardens.edible I go!

Up, up and away!

Daniel

Old 17-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Rob Halgren

Some of us do both... One good resource for fruits, nuts, and
miscellaneous things you wouldn't think to eat is NAFEX (North American
Fruit Exporers). You can join the organization for a modest fee, but
even if you don't you can participate in a very informative e-mail list.

The archives are he http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex/

You can figure out how to subscribe to the mailserver from any one of
those archived messages.

As to which cherry tree to plant, it would depend on just how far north
you are, and whether you wanted sweet or tart (pie) cherries. Either
choice would get you too many trees to pick from, which is why I planted
a dozen varieties this spring, and I'll probably add a dozen more next
spring. Some will work, some might not, but plant collecting is a
disease that crosses from orchids to orchards quite easily.

Rob

"Danielb" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm new to this group and gardening, having just bought my first house.

am

currently attempting to tame my back garden (the previous owners had

done

nothing for a whole year), once I have expanded the lawn into the old
allotment and border I would like to plant a cherry tree. But I am not

sure

about what type of tree or the best place to plant it. I want something

that

will stay pretty small (under 12ft) and will withstand the Scottish

weather.

Any advice on verities to look at or where to plant it?

Cheers,

Daniel

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 17-07-2003, 10:52 PM
molli

Or you could do what I do...become really good friends with the next door
neighbors who have a cherry tree in their yard..all the cherries I could
pick in return for one of my pies!

--

Hugs,
Molli