Old 19-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Rick

Default question forU.S. orchid importers from australia

hi all:

I have a simple question for the group. I was browsing the websites of some
Australian orchid nurseries like easy orchids and Burleigh Park Orchids and
noticed that they have some fine species /hybrids which they export. I would
be interested in procuring flasks from them. I would like to know if anyone
has imported from them into the U.S.A and what their experience with these
nurseries are?

Thanks

Rick

Old 19-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Bolero

I don't know what exports are like but as someone who lives in Australia and
buys from some of these places I would say you would be safe with both.

Others to check out with quality plants a

P & R Orchids (Excellent)
Lonnes Orchids
Florafest

All sell great plants but I can't say if they export or not.........they do
however import so I would guess they go together.

When buying mail order within Australia they seem to be pretty good anyway.

s.com...

Old 19-07-2003, 06:33 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I've imported flasks from Burleigh Park and was happy with the plants. Some
got a little jumbled in shipping tho and he actually replaced one that
arrived so jumbled that all the roots were broken off. I understand the doc
requirements are greater now tho and pricy so it may not be worth it for
just a few flasks. And yes, they have some nice stuff that's hard to find
otherwise.

Jerry

Old 23-07-2003, 07:12 AM
profpam

Hi, Rick,

I, too, have imported from Burleigh Park Orchids. They are a bit
pricey. Besides the charge for a phyto, Fedex fee, and having to send
cash via registered mail, an import permit may now be required. Plants
are shipped in small glass bottles with usually no more than about 10
plants -- though they are nice.

So you might find the same through Troy Meyers Conservatory
http://www.troymeyers.com or Mick Fournier http://www.OrchidFlask.com
Check those places first. If not, check the internet for a nursery that
sells seedlings of whatever you are looking for.

Oh, and here's a thought: Adelaide Orchids in Australia has a place in
Oklahoma. I am wondering if they would do the importing/exporting if
one requests a particular plant and pays in advance. David Hunt and
George Norris both import from various regions on the world, but I don't
know if either imports from Australia.

Hope this gives you a few ideas. Good luck in your quest for orchids.
And . . . happy growing!

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html