Old 30-07-2003, 01:12 PM
~Barbra~

Default Newbie

I bought a phalaenopsis (Just the one stem) from a local supermarket last
Summer. After the flowers finished I left it in the same place, wondering
what to do next.
I know have a new leaf half way up the stem.
Is there anything I should be doing?
I have another one which was bought for me this year, and that has two
stems. This has just finished flowering, so I'm wondering if there's
anything I should be doing after flowering??
Crikey, just read a few of the posts before sending this and boy, I sound
and am quite dumb regarding orchids....but I love em just them same, and
would like to know more.
Thanks for reading

Barbra

Old 30-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Ted Byers

"~Barbra~" wrote in message
I bought a phalaenopsis (Just the one stem) from a local supermarket last
Summer. After the flowers finished I left it in the same place, wondering
what to do next.
I know have a new leaf half way up the stem.

Congradulations. Your Phalaenopsis is having a baby. Just keep doing what
you're doing, and, if you want the baby in a pot of its own, wait until it
has roots a few cm long, cut it off and plant it.

BTW, the stem you refer to is an inflorescence. What you do with it is let
the plant tell you when to remove it. If it remains green, leave it alone,
and if it turns brown, remove it.

This has just finished flowering, so I'm wondering if there's
anything I should be doing after flowering??

Normally, this would be the time to repot in order to check to see if the
medium and roots are ok.

Crikey, just read a few of the posts before sending this and boy, I sound
and am quite dumb regarding orchids....but I love em just them same, and
would like to know more.

Don't worry abot that. Everyone has to start somewhere.

HTH

Ted

Old 30-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Wendy

Just want to welcome you Barbra, keep asking, lots of info here.
Ted has given you good advice too.
Cheers Wendy

Old 30-07-2003, 04:32 PM
~Barbra~

Oh wow, thanks Ted. I can't wait for the little one to begin growing
his/her roots )

Barbra

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
.. .

Old 30-07-2003, 04:42 PM
~Barbra~

Hi Wendy, I've been reading the info on this ng for a while now, and I'm
learning as I go )

Barbra

Old 30-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Barbra,

Welcome to the group! Ask away - you'll find plenty of help here.

Diana

NEWBIE HELP: How to seed? Nick Thudick Gardening 6 01-04-2003 08:44 PM
Newbie Noela Orchids 1 31-03-2003 06:20 AM
Newbie here - Easiest to grow orchid in NW IN pagan Orchids 8 05-02-2003 04:11 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 02:43 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM