Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Wendy

Default Black stuff on roots?

I have a couple of plants aerial roots that have black on them. I doesn't
just
wipe off? Any thoughts on what to do?
Cheers Wendy

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Ray

C'mon Wendy. You know the response: "describe the conditions," etc., etc.
"Black stuff" that doesn't wipe off isn't all THAT helpful.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Wendy

*g* Oh yes Gene, that's what it looks like the mildew that you see on patio
furniture! It
is not powdery like mould & won't just wipe off?
So what do I use for mildew?
Cheers Wendy
hlink.net...

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Gene Schurg

I'd start with something like physan or maybe a weak bleach mix.

Physan we know is safe and bleach is generally safe. Maybe someone else has
an idea of what concentration would be safe.

Or if the plants aren't suffering just let them grow and when the weather
gets dry the mildew will die.

Gene

Old 09-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Wendy

Thanks guys, will try the Physan, I always have a diluted solution in a
spray bottle hanging around.
If it doesn't work, I try the Daconil?
Cheers Wendy
"Jim S" wrote in message
news
try daconil

Old 09-08-2003, 09:22 PM
profpam

Hi, Wendy,

You might try a tiny drop of Physan 20 (most nurseries have this) in a
pint spray bottle. Spray the roots and then be sure to wash off
(although I have never had any ill-effects from spraying the greenhouse
walls with diluted Physan).

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html