Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Claude

Default Simple question?

Hello everyone!

Last night, one of my patient ( I`m a nurse ) gave me as a gift this HUGE
phal she got two days ago. When I say Huge, it`s pretty big.

The Phal has 6 long leaves, the longuest one has 9 inch long.
It has 3 stem, the longuest is about 2 feet tall. There is 6 flowers open,
dark pink/purple around 4.5 inch wide open!

I`ve never seen a Phal like that!

Now my question! Is there some Gigantic kind of Phal or is this only due to
the culture technique?
Should I expect getting the same result next time it will bloom?

Thanks

Claude

P.S: Of course, there was no name tag on it :-(

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Gene Schurg

Claude,

Gee....you just have a small one there!

Some of the large flowered hybrids these days have leaves over a foot long.
If you can find pictures of some of the phals from the Japanese orchid shows
you 'll see phals with 100 flowers on multiple stems and branches.

Can you do it again? Well, it depends on your culture. You know what the
potential for this plant is from experience. If you supply good culture
(light, temps, water, and TLC) then you can expect this performance
annually.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 09-08-2003, 07:02 PM
K Barrett

Claude,

But don't think that if your plant drops leaves or doesn't make leaves equal
to the ones it 'came' with that you are a failure.

The large orchid vendors really pump these phals up huge, and trick them not
to flower until they are really pumped up, then they alter the light/temps
and BLAMMO! these plants send out flowers like crazy in one orgasmic blast.

*Of course* you can't duplicate that at home, and so you think you're no
good. When of course you *are* good. Especially if you can get one of these
tuckered out phals to continue to grow and bloom for you next year.

So don't get discouraged.

Its just business. The wiley vendors sell a pot plant at the highest price
they can get if it has a ton of flowers and they expect you to toss the
plant out after the blooms fade.

K Barrett
news

"Claude" wrote in message
Hello everyone!

Last night, one of my patient ( I`m a nurse ) gave me as a gift this

HUGE
phal she got two days ago. When I say Huge, it`s pretty big.

The Phal has 6 long leaves, the longuest one has 9 inch long.
It has 3 stem, the longuest is about 2 feet tall. There is 6 flowers

open,
dark pink/purple around 4.5 inch wide open!

I`ve never seen a Phal like that!

Now my question! Is there some Gigantic kind of Phal or is this only due

the culture technique?
Should I expect getting the same result next time it will bloom?

Thanks

Claude

P.S: Of course, there was no name tag on it :-(

Simple Sunflower Question Cathy Glockler Gardening 0 08-02-2007 03:12 PM
Simple question butterflies [email protected] Gardening 3 23-06-2006 03:56 PM
a simple stupid question! Claude Orchids 16 15-03-2004 11:39 PM
Simple Question? Claude Orchids 6 04-01-2004 05:44 PM
A simple question! Buzzy Gardening 9 17-06-2003 02:56 AM