Old 22-08-2003, 09:02 PM
femalestrom

Default I think I need help.

I have this plant:

Ronnyra Thai Bonbon

It is making me insane.

So..... 4 times this year it has put up an inflorescence, and I
have only had it since April or so. The first two I though it
was temperature fluctuations. The last two I thought the sun
was scalding them. So I moved the plant about a foot back
so the inflorescence would be shaded, but not the plant. They
both turned yellow and shrived. So I thought.. okay.. better
luck next year. Now it looks like it is spiking again, and
after 4 tries, I sort of want to see this one work. I can't figure
out what the problem is. It is basically in basket culture, high
light. If it weren't spiking at all, I would think the plant was
just not as happy as it could be, but every month or so it
wants to torture me.

Any ideas?

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm

Old 22-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Ray

If it was mine, it would be given standard ascocenda conditions, and fed and
watered frequently - which is likely what you're giving it. I would
absolutely not worry about the sun scalding inflorescences.

My guess is that either the plant is simply not mature enough to sustain
flowering, or you happened to get a particularly recalcitrant one.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 23-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Kenni Judd

Any chance you have thrips?

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 23-08-2003, 07:02 PM
femalestrom

said with a friendly smile So basically you are nicely telling
me it will bloom when it damn well pleases. I am doubting it
is maturity. From what I understand it is a very old cross, and I
got it from a greenhouse where it had been for a very long time.
They used to go to shows a lot and have become too age
challenged to do so anymore, so they had a bunch of stuff that
basically fell of the "popularity" radar.

Thank you though... I guess maybe I just have to wait this
thing out.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"Ray" wrote in message
news
If it was mine, it would be given standard ascocenda conditions, and fed
and
watered frequently - which is likely what you're giving it. I would
absolutely not worry about the sun scalding inflorescences.

My guess is that either the plant is simply not mature enough to sustain
flowering, or you happened to get a particularly recalcitrant one.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 23-08-2003, 07:02 PM
femalestrom

Please don't gasp with horror.. but what are thrips? I
did have a plant infect my collection with those darn
centipede bugs about a year back, but I think I have
finally quashed that. Other than whiteflies, I have been
pretty lucky. I repot everything that comes in.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Any chance you have thrips?

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 23-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Crystal,

Thrips look like very skinny, small, wiggly beasts. I need my reading
glasses to see them. Are the buds blasting, or is it the entire spike, all
at once? Do the buds ever get a chance to develop?

Diana

Old 24-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Kenni Judd

Truly tiny black insects, small enough to get inside a bud before it opens,
and VERY quick. They mostly like to munch on flower buds and spikes, but
will also snack on roots [usually leaving a scarred ring around the
circumference of the root].

If you decide they might be the problem,

Among the other most common causes of what we generally term "blast" [a very
generic term for your problem]:
Too hot - Too cold -- Too big of a temperature swing too fast (15+ degrees
over the course of just a few hours) -- Humidity too low, or jumping up and
down -- Too little water [at a time or not often enough] -- Just plain
stubborn G.

Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"femalestrom" wrote in message
. net...
Please don't gasp with horror.. but what are thrips? I
did have a plant infect my collection with those darn
centipede bugs about a year back, but I think I have
finally quashed that. Other than whiteflies, I have been
pretty lucky. I repot everything that comes in.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Any chance you have thrips?

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 25-08-2003, 07:02 PM
femalestrom

I don't think I have them.... at least haven't seen any signs
yet. Maybe I should find a website that has a picture of
them, because it sounds like something I should keep an
eye out for. As if I am not on constant bug watch as it
is....;-)

What happens is the spike develops and then starts to
slowly turn yellow. This is well before what I would
expect to be bud formation. Sometimes it is early into
spike development, and sometimes it gets fairly well
along, but always starts to turn yellow and die.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
news

Old 25-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Crystal,

The plant hates you. G It sounds stressed some way, and I've
unfortunately had plants that did the same thing. The other thing is, have
you checked the roots? Could it be trying to save itself?

Diana

Old 26-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Martin

your not moving the plant into a new area or changing he way you treat it, as
in feeding it?

go here to see thrips
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html