Old 28-08-2003, 10:12 AM
MLL

Default Orchid Trees

I have been growing orchids off and on for the last 4 years.
I recently moved to the UK and have again found My table tops and window
sills growing full.
I moved most of them to the green house but intend to move them into
the conservatory within the week.
I went for a wander and found some lovely old trees that I am cutting down
to about 6' lengths and will then arrange them in a bed of bark and rock.
I have bromeliads and ferns that I will be adding to make it look more
natural
as well as fill in the gaps.

My question is this, will the Oncidium and Paph that I have in pots with a
more earthy type medium, no not dirt, do well on the trees or
should they be more in the barky area at the base?

I will take photos of the before and after to share!

MLL

Old 28-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Ray

Paphs are more terrestrial in nature, living in the leaf littler on the
forest floor, but the oncidium ought to do great if you can provide the
humidity and watering frequency needed for mounted plants.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 28-08-2003, 07:32 PM
J. Del Col

"MLL" wrote in message ...
I have been growing orchids off and on for the last 4 years.
I recently moved to the UK and have again found My table tops and window
sills growing full.
I moved most of them to the green house but intend to move them into
the conservatory within the week.
I went for a wander and found some lovely old trees that I am cutting down
to about 6' lengths and will then arrange them in a bed of bark and rock.
I have bromeliads and ferns that I will be adding to make it look more
natural
as well as fill in the gaps.

My question is this, will the Oncidium and Paph that I have in pots with a
more earthy type medium, no not dirt, do well on the trees or
should they be more in the barky area at the base?

A Paph on a tree branch? No; they aren't epiphytes. I'd keep it in a
pot with an appropriate terrestrial mix.

The Oncidium? Yes, but water it much more frequently than you do now.
Orchids on slabs of bark, wood, tree branches or similar substrates
need more frequent
watering and higher overall humidity.

I have Oncidiums on cedar slabs with "orchid moss." They are doing
just fine.
The fact that this summer's weather in WV has tried to mimic that of a
rainforest might have something to do with that.

J. Del Col
Old 03-09-2003, 10:02 AM
LLM

To whom it may concern.

I found this email in My account this morning and have blocked the addy,
for what its worth - we all know that hackers dont use real addys.

I reported the address.

If you want to speak to Me please do so here.
If its about orchids I would love to talk.
Please do so here.

If you email Me, make sure there are no files attached or I will
block you and report you like the following email.

horse manure

Old 08-09-2003, 08:03 AM
LLM

The tree is up and growing well. Well actually it ended up being 3 trees
and one hanging branch!

They seem to require more water now but I figure that is due to the fact that
the roots are not in protective pots.

I mist them a couple times a day as well as water them every other day
when its very warm I water them every day.

I was working on how to attach them to the trees when I was I hade a great
idea. Stockings! I dug out a couple of old pair of stockings and cut them
into lengths that I thought would hold the root ball and mix, tied the end off
wrestled the orchid and mix into it and bingo! A silk nest for the orchids!

I attached these to the tree with a dark colored cotton thread.
It looks like a spider went to town building!

The keikes that I have I just tucked against the trees and wrapped in stocking.

Every thing seems to be growing so well, new growth and new flower spikes.

They love it! I would say that if you have a small corner to give it a try.
Mine sits in the south west corner of My conservatory and is very lovely!

MLL

Old 08-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Sounds interesting. How about posting a pic on ABPO. Would really like to
see how it looks. I've been thinking about making a small branch but don't
have room or time at the moment.
Cheers
Peter

"LLM" schreef in bericht