Old 15-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default What is a mini catt.

I've read a few messages that mention mini cattleya's. But what are they?
Just small cattleya's or special hybrids made to stay small?
Cheers
Peter

Old 15-09-2003, 09:02 PM
dd

They're hybrids made to stay small. I like them because the flowers are
lovely and the plant doesn't hog a lot of room. Also, I've read that
the mini-catts have less-demanding light reqirements. I couldn't verify
that. I've got both big catts and mini-catts and they all look healthy.
Getting even the mini-catts to rebloom is problematic though, so this
winter I'm growing mine under HID lights in the sunroom; next summer
they're all going outside.

Old 16-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Kenni Judd

They are indeed hybrids made to stay small, or at least short. If memory
serves, the rule is foliage less than 12" tall [they still grow sideways].
I don't find that they need any less light than their larger relatives; I
think the theory is that it will be easier for you to give them the light
they want because the minis will fit on your windowsill G. However, given
adequate light, most of the miniatures will bloom 2 or more times per year,
whereas most standards are annual bloomers. Cattleytonias [abbreviated
Ctna.] and nodosa hybrids, in particular, tend to be very frequent bloomers.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 17-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Thanks,
Peter

"Kenni Judd" schreef in bericht

Pb, ann,... wrote:

I've read a few messages that mention mini cattleya's. But what are

they?
Just small cattleya's or special hybrids made to stay small?
Cheers
Peter

mini-Catt repotting in moss? J Fortuna Orchids 13 23-08-2006 05:00 PM
catt bowringiana rest? keith Orchids 1 26-10-2003 04:32 PM
Catt growing pattern (strang?) gal Orchids 7 18-06-2003 11:32 AM
Very happy catt Ted Byers Orchids 6 12-03-2003 02:34 AM
burned leaf tips on a Catt Terry Orchids 4 05-02-2003 11:01 PM