Old 16-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Traitorous Dends & Weird Happenings

All,

Last October, Den. Palola Sunshine x Ahulani Hinojosa left a show with a
trophy, chosen as best plant in the Dend alliance. It had been blooming for
two years, and eventually took a much needed rest. Now it is shriveling
every spike it throws up, and there have been probably a dozen. Few flowers
made it, and the newest spikes don't look good either.

It's not the only one. A couple of other Dends are also failing, though in
all cases the plants appear very healthy. I have loads of Dends, and the
ones affected are nowhere near each other.

Add to that Catts that are blooming out of season, and without their usual
fragrance.

Could all this harken back to the chilly winter we had last year? We had a
very rainy summer, and I grow outside, so that could be a factor, but all
the plants in question are potted in rock, so they recover from the rain
pretty quickly.

Either something's off kilter, or the orchid gods are playing with my head.

Any idea on the Dends?

Diana

Old 17-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Gene Schurg

Could it performance anxiety? The plants are afraid you'll put them out in
public again if they produce a good flower!
GRIN

Gene

hlink.net...

Old 17-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Wendy

Diana, sounds like something going on down under! Have you checked the roots
of one of these guys?
This has happened to me once or twice & I found mealies in the leaf crevices
&
the roots were all rotten.
Cheers Wendy

Old 17-09-2003, 10:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

Gene,

That's right up there with "But does she sell sea shells......etc"! LOL

Diana

hlink.net...

Old 17-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Diana Kulaga

Wendy,

I've examined the plants pretty closely, and I can see a lot of the roots.
No sign of mealies, though I did have them on some Phals a couple of months
ago. Maybe something too small to see, or maybe I'm being punished for some
imagined failing!

I treated the whole collection with Malathion about a month ago, because I
had a some nasties hanging around. Anyway, that doesn't explain the early
blooming Catt with no fragrance.

Ah, well. So this Dend won't be going into a display anytime soon.

Diana