Old 17-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Dan

Default spider orchid in the hands of an amatuer

Hi,

I just got my spider orchid and know very little about them. Anybody can
recommend sth. on the topic of spider orchids? Are they easy to take care
of? I just repotted it into a self-watering pot where you insert a porous
porcelain pot into a pot with water in it. Is that a wise idea or will the
roots rot? Pls, advise me if you can. thanks.

Dan

Old 17-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Kenni Judd

I think what you have is a Brassia. We grow them in bright filtered light
[about 60% shade, here in sunny south Florida]. I would be leery of the
self-watering pot -- Brassias don't like to get 100% bone-dry between
waterings, as do Cattleyas and Dendrobiums, but they still don't like to sit
around soggy for any length of time. Ours are in plastic pots with a mix of
50% coconut chip, 25% charcoal, 25% lava rock, and we are currently watering
2x/week because of our high temps [still 90+F, most days] and strong air
movement. Over the next several weeks, as we start to cool off a little, we
will taper the watering back to once a week.

For future reference [too late this time], repotting an orchid while it's in
bloom carries a risk of causing the flowers to fade prematurely. It's
generally better to wait until the plant has stopped blooming and begun to
initiate new roots and or green growth.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 17-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Dan

Thanks so much, Kenni. Shows how much I know about these things... They are
sure captivating, though. Thanks again for your advice.

Old 20-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Mattias Baecklund

use as general rule to all flowers (of course there are exceptions just
can't remember any right now).
Repotting flowers while there in bloom carries a risk of causing the flowers
to fade prematurely

Mattias Baecklund

"Dan" wrote in message
Hi,

I just got my spider orchid and know very little about them. Anybody

can
recommend sth. on the topic of spider orchids? Are they easy to take

care
of? I just repotted it into a self-watering pot where you insert a

porous
porcelain pot into a pot with water in it. Is that a wise idea or will

the
roots rot? Pls, advise me if you can. thanks.

Dan

Garden spider (warning: contains spider) Mad Cow Garden Photos 1 28-09-2012 11:45 AM
Ah! Spider! BIG Spider! The Ranger Edible Gardening 9 01-09-2005 03:20 AM
Chapped hands and eczema gnmouser Ponds (alternative) 0 15-04-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] Juniper Hands John NJ Bonsai 3 07-04-2003 09:08 PM
Extra Pair of Hands BenignVanilla Ponds 4 30-03-2003 06:32 PM