Old 30-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Diane M.

Default help! I broke my phal!

I was just cleaning and snapped the stem on my Phal. Its been in bloom for months so I'm not heartbroken, and was going to cut back anyway, but one of the people that I wanted to show this off to is coming next week. Should I leave the spike on or cut the stem and put them in water.

Thanks guys

--
Diane
Old 30-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

Don't ya hate that?

If the spike is hanging by a thread, cut it off and put it in a pretty vase. If it's attached pretty well, it might make it on the plant. Personally, when that sort of thing happens, I cut off the spike.

Diana

Old 30-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Susan Erickson

"Diane M." wrote in message . ..
I was just cleaning and snapped the stem on my Phal. Its been in bloom for months so I'm not heartbroken, and was going to cut back anyway, but one of the people that I wanted to show this off to is coming next week. Should I leave the spike on or cut

the stem and put them in water.

Thanks guys
--
Diane

Cut the spike. IF your lucky the spike in a vase will not be
disturbed by cats and will probably last a week.

SuE
Old 01-10-2003, 12:21 AM
Kenni Judd

If it is completely or mostly broken, put the stem in water. If it's just
cracked, you will probably be OK just to stake it.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
. ..

Old 02-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Diane M.

Cleaning is a necessary task, but i always break something.

It didn't take much more for the spike to snap off. I got the vase and
nestled it in the pot- spike will show off at least till my guests have
gone, I hope. They have heard about these orchids all year. I just wonder
how much longer it would have stayed in bloom. Oh well, I have my online
album

Now I know what a fresh phal spike is like- a tender crisp, instead of a
woody substance- no, you can't bend it! Cut stem to above the first knot on
the spike- 2 huge blooms this year and new leaves started. The stem was
about 2.5 ft long

All the orchids now are inside- freeze possible this week. Even brought in
the cymbidiums. Love the jungle of plants!

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message

. ..