Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 PM
JeanW

Default SOS! Broke lotus growing tip

I received a Chawan Basu lotus tuber in March and planted it in a
mud/manure mix in a big rubbermaid tub with about 3 inches of water.
I accidentally broke off one growing tip and now the other growing
tips are dis-integrating too. Please help me save this lotus. Any
suggestions/advice will be highly appreciated. I am in Atlanta, 7B.
We had quite a warm spring so far. The growing tips have extended
several inches, but never unfold the curve to form any real leaves.
Is this OK at this time of the year because it's early?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Nedra

Hi Jean,
You'll have to clarify something for me. You say the growing tips
are disintegrating ... then you say the growing tips have extended
several inches. Are we talking about different lotus here?
I would leave it alone whichever it is. I think it's rather early -
mine haven't broken the soil yet but then I'm in zone 6.

Nedra in Missouri

m...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:24 PM
JeanW

Hi Nedra, thanks for the response. The correct sequence is: the tips
extended several inches to almost out of the water, then growth came
to a complete halt. Then I got concerned and started meddling around
and broke that one tip. Then the other tips darkened and sort of
started to melt away. My neighbor who has an established lotus in his
huge container showed me his first floating leaf ofthis year. sigh.
Felt sorry for mine.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Nedra

I would say your may have drowned your lotus
BUT, don't give up on it. It may prove to be a survivor
and come back. I know I have to hold myself back when I
see new shoots .... Good Luck!

Nedra

om...