Old 02-10-2003, 11:42 PM
keith

Default phal reichenbachiana info wanted

hi all ,anyone got any info on phal reichenbachiana,I think they are
yellowish with red/brown markings?don`t now how big they grow or whether
they are fragrant.do they have same cultural needs as all phals.
any comments appreciated!
thanks keith

Old 03-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Ted Byers

"keith" wrote in message
hi all ,anyone got any info on phal reichenbachiana,I think they are
yellowish with red/brown markings?don`t now how big they grow or whether
they are fragrant.do they have same cultural needs as all phals.
any comments appreciated!
thanks keith

According to Christenson, their leaves can be up to 30 cm long, and the
inflorescences can be racemes or pnaicles up to 45 cm long, and the flowers
can be around 5 cm across. The flowers have a greenish yellow ground colour
and transverse reddish brown bars; and they are fragrant. It is apparently
very similar to P. fasciata, and is treated as a synonym with P. fasciata
for purposes of hybrid registration. This isn't surprising since they are
apparently easily confused. Judging from Christenson's treatment of it, I
would guess that the taxonomy of this and several similar "species" is
uncertain at best. He gives reasons for making a distinction between the
two, but ... I don't see enough information to be able to judge one way or
another.

However you, or your supplier, or your orchid society, want to classify it,
it looks like you'd have a nice plant.

In the absence of any comment by Christenson about culture requirements, I'd
be inclined to guess that it needs to be treated in a similar fashion as
other phals, unless someone can contribute experience to suggest otherwise.

Cheers,

Ted