Old 15-10-2003, 10:02 PM
K Barrett

Default Malathion on buds/flowers

I was out watering today and ants came pouring out of one pot by the
thousands.

Usually I kill ants with Malathion, but this year the flowers are going to
the Member's Meeting in Sacto and so they need to:

a) look good

b) smell good

c) have no signs of infestation that would cause them to be removed from the
show.

I'm tempted to use insecticidal soap.

Has anyone noticed damage to blooms with Safer's soap?

K Barrett

Old 15-10-2003, 10:22 PM
profpam

K,
Since you mentioned ants, the best local treatment is Schultz. The
product contains chrysanthemum pyrenes. Our society had a guy from pest
control (Jim V. -- he is one of ours and very trustworthy) speak on the
safety of chrysanthemum pyrenes. This product is very safe for buds as
well as the rest of the plant and appears more effective against ants
than any other product on the market. You can also purchase Schultz'
products at your grocery store and apply the vegetable product as well.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

P. S. I didn't find problems with malathion; however, malathion has a
bit of a impact to humans whereas chrysanthemum pyrenes are not harmful.

---------------------------------

Old 16-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:52:28 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

I was out watering today and ants came pouring out of one pot by the
thousands.

Usually I kill ants with Malathion, but this year the flowers are going to
the Member's Meeting in Sacto and so they need to:

a) look good

b) smell good

c) have no signs of infestation that would cause them to be removed from the
show.

I'm tempted to use insecticidal soap.

Has anyone noticed damage to blooms with Safer's soap?

K Barrett

I just saw 2 shows with a plant pulled in each one for
"infestation" And tried to assist the exhibitor in finding the
offending pest in the last show. We never saw anything. So make
sure there are no dry residues around to mimic scale.
SuE

Old 16-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:39:34 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Thanks Sue! See you ib Sac!

With bells on.
SuE
Old 16-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Gene Schurg

Pam,

You indicated that the ants are in the potting mix. I'd send them swimming!

Plug the pot drainage and fill the pot with water. The ants will drown or
head for the hills. Beats putting poison on them. Of course you want to do
this outdoors where they can run for the ant hills!

Gene

Old 16-10-2003, 10:22 PM
profpam

Gene,

I would so agree with you; however, Schultz is also used as a vegetable
wash. Chrysanthemum pyrenes are said to be very nontoxic to man. They,
however, kill ants on contact; however, their effects are not
long-lasting.

=================

K Barrett wrote:

I was out watering today and ants came pouring out of one pot by the
thousands.

Usually I kill ants with Malathion, but this year the flowers are going

the Member's Meeting in Sacto and so they need to:

a) look good

b) smell good

c) have no signs of infestation that would cause them to be removed from

the
show.

I'm tempted to use insecticidal soap.

Has anyone noticed damage to blooms with Safer's soap?

K Barrett

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM
Malathion Rate Mark Bellinger Gardening 28 10-07-2003 04:08 AM
Malathion Simon United Kingdom 1 10-01-2003 09:20 PM