Old 04-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Mark Bellinger

Default Malathion Rate

Hi, I wish to control scale on my Bay Tree with Malathion.
What is the mixture rate to use.
Do I need to mix it with while oil for it to be effective.
Thanks
Mark
Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 PM
animaux

I'd never use such a toxic poison, and I'm sorry, but you are a poster boy for
why we have to terminate these homeowner pesticides. READ THE LABEL. The label
tells you everything you'd need to know how to use this tremendously deadly
poison.

Why did you choose malathion when Sunspray oil, or insecticidal soap would be
far more effective than malathion?

Old 04-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , animaux writes:
| I'd never use such a toxic poison, and I'm sorry, but you are a poster boy for
| why we have to terminate these homeowner pesticides. READ THE LABEL. The label
| tells you everything you'd need to know how to use this tremendously deadly
| poison.

It's not that deadly to mammals! Humans are in little direct danger
from it - that isn't the problem.

| Why did you choose malathion when Sunspray oil, or insecticidal soap would be
| far more effective than malathion?

Well, I agree that malathion isn't a good choice, not least because
scale insects tend to be resistant to it, but insecticidal soap is
only a little more effective. Much less nasty, of course.

On pot plants, scraping is the best solution, but that might be
impractical on a large bush. I have heard that oil sprays do
work, but the effective ones aren't exactly non-toxic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:56 PM
zxcvbob

Mark Bellinger wrote:

Hi, I wish to control scale on my Bay Tree with Malathion. What is the
mixture rate to use. Do I need to mix it with while oil for it to be
effective.

A dormant oil spray, mixed at the 1/2 strength "summer oil spray" rate
would be more effective, but iirc you should not use oil spray when the
temperature is about 90 F. degrees. There will be directions on the label.

Bob

Old 05-07-2003, 02:32 AM
animaux

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:59:47 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Mark Bellinger wrote:

Hi, I wish to control scale on my Bay Tree with Malathion. What is the
mixture rate to use. Do I need to mix it with while oil for it to be
effective.

A dormant oil spray, mixed at the 1/2 strength "summer oil spray" rate
would be more effective, but iirc you should not use oil spray when the
temperature is about 90 F. degrees. There will be directions on the label.

Bob

That's why they invented SunSpray. It's a horticultural oil which you can use
in any season. I live in Texas and have used it to treat a horrific scale
problem on one of my redbuds.

Old 05-07-2003, 02:56 PM

I agree, it is not very toxic to humans as it is readily broken down in the liver.
It is also rapidly biodegradable. However, anyone with a compromised liver had
better give it a pass. I dont think it is very effective against scale, however.
Ingrid

On 4 Jul 2003 17:05:37 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
It's not that deadly to mammals! Humans are in little direct danger
from it - that isn't the problem.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:56 PM
CpRensCoNY

For the original writer, one cannot ask a question here some days without a
landslide of rudeness coming at you. What is the purpose of this arrogance and
cursing? You could just be silent if you are unable to countenance a comment.
Here is one side from an owner of Laurus nobilis or the bay tree. Malathion
is the same family of chemicals as Lindane. Lindane is what the doctor paints
your kids with if they come home from school with scabies. If you take a cruise
and put a patch behind your ear for mal-de-mer, it is an organo-phosphate.
Neither is a human disaster used in small quantities though the Malathion won't
cure the scale problem on just one try. These are organo-phosphates, a term
with organic gardener problems. The term sets off numerous uninformed
speeches. The same pesticide free gardeners use other chemicals making them
pesticide users usually condoning their practice by using one that is an old
product and therefore harmless. Nicotine, arsenic and copper sulphate were
favored for years. If you plan to use the bay leaves for home cooking, you
would want to use a pesticide formulated for vegetables.

The oil won't do the job either and will make a mess for you that is not
pleasant indoors. Scale occurs all year around. What we do with our bay tree
is be quite vigilant and clean off the scale physically with very small foam
paintbrushes soaked in alcohol followed with a soap (any dish soap) and water
bath. Leaf axils of the plant are hard to clean. This is not failsafe so you
will need to watch and repeat. The first stage of the scale insect is nearly
invisible so it is a difficult problem on a large plant. Scale prefer other
plants to bay trees so you usually do not get a heavy infestation.

On both the bay tree and on large citrus when scale infestation is heavy you
can completely defoliate the tree, every leaf. Then you can scrub the barked
over parts with a soapy solution of any pesticide you like. You do this on a
heavy layer of newspaper with the plant lying on it's side. Discard the
newspaper. In a cool sunny spot the tree will refoliate and if no other plant
in your collection remains to reinfect the bay, it should be clean. Keep Ficus
out of your indoor collection, it is a scale magnet.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:44 PM
zxcvbob

CpRensCoNY wrote:
For the original writer, one cannot ask a question here some days without a
landslide of rudeness coming at you. What is the purpose of this arrogance and
cursing? You could just be silent if you are unable to countenance a comment.
[snip]
The oil won't do the job either and will make a mess for you that is not
pleasant indoors. Scale occurs all year around. What we do with our bay tree
is be quite vigilant and clean off the scale physically with very small foam
paintbrushes soaked in alcohol followed with a soap (any dish soap) and water
bath. Leaf axils of the plant are hard to clean. This is not failsafe so you
will need to watch and repeat. The first stage of the scale insect is nearly
invisible so it is a difficult problem on a large plant. Scale prefer other
plants to bay trees so you usually do not get a heavy infestation.

The original poster never said the bay tree was indoors.
Malathion *can* be used to control scale insects, but only if you get them
before they form a hard waxy shell. After that, a summer weight oil spray
is the best treatment, unless you wanna use a systemic (like cygon) or pick
the insect off by hand as you do. I've used oil spray to kill scale on
gardenias (or was it camellias?) and it is effective.

I don't think I'd use cygon on a bay tree if I planned to use the leaves
for cooking. It's probably safe enough -- it's not like you'll make a big
salad exclusively of bay leaves -- but it still seems wrong somehow.

Regards,
Bob

Old 06-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Marley1372

Malathion
is the same family of chemicals as Lindane. Lindane is what the doctor pain

Acrually, Lindane is a chlorinated hydrocarbon(organo-chlorine) and malathion
is an organo-phosphate. They both have the same mode of action but are from
different chemicalgroups. Either way, using anything other than horticultural
oil on scale is sort of a waste. You could pick them off but it takes forever.

Toad

[IMG] code is On

malathion [email protected] Gardening 5 28-06-2006 02:33 AM
Malathion mixture for orchids jadel Orchids 16 14-10-2005 02:14 PM
Malathion on buds/flowers K Barrett Orchids 7 16-10-2003 10:22 PM
Roses ( Malathion Rate zxcvbob Gardening 0 10-07-2003 05:32 AM
Malathion Simon United Kingdom 1 10-01-2003 09:20 PM