Old 01-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Registered User

Angry Yellow Leaf on Phal

I have a phal that up until last week looked as healthy as can be. New spike, old spike with new side shoot, leaves green and trugid - very nice. This past Wednesday the lowest leaf started to turn yellow all over and today it is bright yellow - still turgid but very yellow.

Climate where the orchid is growing has not changed since I got it several months ago. It is watered every Saturday morning. No bugs that I can see. No crown rot that I can detect. It never has wet feet.

Any ideas what is going on with this orchid and what if anything should be done with it?

Thanks...
Old 01-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Steve

Default Yellow Leaf on Phal

Your plant is normal.
When the leaf falls off, throw it away and continue growing as you have
been. Several months from now, after it matures another leaf at the top,
it will discard another one at the bottom.

Steve

--
rmxrm

Old 02-11-2003, 01:31 AM
Bolero

This can happen when either a new leaf comes through and the older leaves
then start to die or it could be crown rot.

If everything you have stated is correct it could be that a relatively new
leaf has started growing or a new one is in the process of coming through.
The new leaves use the old leaves resources when they grow.

You didn't mention anything about new growths.......are there any?

s.com...

Old 03-11-2003, 12:50 AM
Registered User

I just checked the growth point with a magnifing glass and found the starrt of a new leaf (about 1/4" long). I also found a small dark area - crown rot???? I attached a picture of the growth point.

Would it be prudent to assume that this dark area is the start of crown rot and if so what should I do. BTW I normally water the plant on Saturday morning but did not yesterday thinking that I should let it dry out a bit. Good idea or not?

One last point the plant was purchased last December from a local grower that I have pruchased plants from for several years. I would go show it to them but they closed down there business and there are not more local growers in my area.

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bolero
This can happen when either a new leaf comes through and the older leaves
then start to die or it could be crown rot.

If everything you have stated is correct it could be that a relatively new
leaf has started growing or a new one is in the process of coming through.
The new leaves use the old leaves resources when they grow.

You didn't mention anything about new growths.......are there any?

"rmxrm" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a phal that up until last week looked as healthy as can be. New
spike, old spike with new side shoot, leaves green and trugid - very
nice. This past Wednesday the lowest leaf started to turn yellow all
over and today it is bright yellow - still turgid but very yellow.

Climate where the orchid is growing has not changed since I got it
several months ago. It is watered every Saturday morning. No bugs that
I can see. No crown rot that I can detect. It never has wet feet.

Any ideas what is going on with this orchid and what if anything should
be done with it?

Thanks...
--
rmxrm
Attached Thumbnails
Yellow Leaf on Phal-crown03.jpg
Old 05-11-2003, 05:42 PM
dd

Put a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in the crown on the dark part. If
it fizzes, the plant has crown rot or some such, and the hydrogen
peroxide is sterilizing it. After a few minutes, tip out the rest of
the hydrogen peroxide, if there's any left standing in the crown.
Repeat this every three days for a total of about 5 treatments. I've
managed to arrest crown rot this way.

Also, take the plant out of the pot and see what the roots are doing.
If they're rotting, cut out the rotten parts and spray the rest of the
roots with Physan 20 (1 T per gallon of water). Then repot in fresh
media. That's what I would do, but you'll probably get better advice
from more experienced growers.

Good luck.

Bolero wrote:
*This can happen when either a new leaf comes through and the older

leaves
then start to die or it could be crown rot.

If everything you have stated is correct it could be that a

relatively new
leaf has started growing or a new one is in the process of coming

through.
The new leaves use the old leaves resources when they grow.

You didn't mention anything about new growths.......are there any?

"rmxrm" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a phal that up until last week looked as healthy as can be.

New
spike, old spike with new side shoot, leaves green and trugid -

very
nice. This past Wednesday the lowest leaf started to turn yellow

all
over and today it is bright yellow - still turgid but very yellow.

Climate where the orchid is growing has not changed since I got it
several months ago. It is watered every Saturday morning. No bugs

that
I can see. No crown rot that I can detect. It never has wet feet.

Any ideas what is going on with this orchid and what if anything

should
be done with it?

Thanks...
--
rmxrm

*

| Attachment filename: crown03.jpg |

|View attachment:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?postid=298303|

Yellow phal. leaves - Yellow Phal. (Small).JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 4 10-12-2008 09:14 AM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
anthurium leaf turn brown at the middle of leaf edge Frank Gardening 0 03-08-2004 12:26 AM
Yellow spots on phal leaf Nell Orchids 2 07-11-2003 10:02 PM
cut leaf maple (thread leaf) question clipster Gardening 0 09-05-2003 07:20 PM