Old 03-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Sheepkeeper

Default Orchid Store

Has any one had any experiance with the orchid store in the Asian mall on
Story Rd. and McLaughlin in San Jose. The good news is, they have tons of
orchids at reasonable prices. The bad news is they are generally unlabled.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 06:21:45 GMT, "Sheepkeeper"
wrote:

Has any one had any experiance with the orchid store in the Asian mall on
Story Rd. and McLaughlin in San Jose. The good news is, they have tons of
orchids at reasonable prices. The bad news is they are generally unlabled.

Complain. Especially if they are going to call themselves the
Orchid Store. They should do better.
SuE
Old 03-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Eric Hunt

*LAFF* - sorry, that was spontaneous at the situation, not at you personally
Sue =)

There is an entirely new market for orchids - as disposable living flowers.
We see that in the socialite crowd in San Francisco constantly - tags are
evil and ugly and should be removed immediately and if they never were there
to begin with, even better! One less thing to have to yell and scream at
your interior designer/personal assistant over because they don't have the
obsessive compulsive attention to detail that you do.

Can you tell I regard this new market as a necessary evil? They give the
orchid growers the income to have a little side collection of the
interesting, properly labeled things that we are all interested in.

I'm not saying this store down in San Jose is catering to that crowd (Does
San Jose have old-money matrons?) but that it is instead catering to the
upwardly affluent who only use live orchid plants with flowers as decorating
accents, and therefore the labels aren't necessary.

I don't even think these people have realized that they have a better chance
of finding that FABULOUS flower from last year again if they know the hybrid
name.

-Eric in SF

Old 03-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Sheepkeeper

From the clientele, it would seem that the store caters to business people
who decorate with orchids. My barber has fifteen or twenty blooming in
insufficient light and all the chemicals of a barber/beauty shop. Sue, I
only called the orchid shop because I'm old and can't remember the name.
The only thing worse than getting old is not getting old.