Old 13-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Bette Noir

Default paph question

Hello,

I'm wondering how one gets a paph to open up very wide as in pictures one
sees. My Maude Raven X Black Buddha is in spike. It bloomed last year,
and was gorgeous, but it didn't have that spread open, erect look one sees
in pictures such as this one:

http://www.chadwickorchids.com/Photo...rciaorraca.htm

Is it manually spread out somehow, or is there something else going on.

I can post a picture of last year's bloom in the binaries group if anyone
thinks it would be useful.

Thanks!
Old 13-11-2003, 09:42 AM
TQPL

Hi Bette,

With Paph flowerings it is always best to judge
flower form over a number of years. Culture can
make a big difference to appearance. Generally
plants get better over the years as bigger growths
often make bigger flowers.

If your plant has done well this year you may get
a better flower than last year.
Do not move the flowering position while your
bloom is opening, over time it will expand for
you.

Re. flatness, that can have a genetic basis as
well. Seedlings vary and that is probably why the
illustrated clone was awarded. Simply some
seedlings show off better than others. With a
simple vini Maudiae cross such as yours you are
likely to have good seedlings.

Some people will only buy seedlings in flower, so
they see what they are getting.

Good flowers do not need to be bent back or
flattened to show off well.
Good flowering.
Regards
Alan L Winthrop
http://www.tissuequickplantlabs.com

"Bette Noir" wrote in
message
. 227.77...

Old 13-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Bette Noir

"TQPL" wrote in
:

snip

Re. flatness, that can have a genetic basis as
well. Seedlings vary and that is probably why the
illustrated clone was awarded. Simply some
seedlings show off better than others. With a
simple vini Maudiae cross such as yours you are
likely to have good seedlings.

Ok, then it's mostly genetics, and maybe a better bloom over time.
I am happy just to have a spike, so it's ok with me!
Thanks very much!

Old 13-11-2003, 04:32 PM
TRAINMAN9

Is it manually spread out somehow, or is there something else going on.

Depending on the type a great number of paph flowers benefit from grooming them
several days or even weeks before submitting for judging. This consists of
staking the flower properly just behind the pouch to accentuate the presence of
the flower on the stem.

In the case of complex hybrids it is possible to use cotton balls to flatten
out the petals and the careful use of scotch tape to help flatten out the
dorsal.
Old 14-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Ted Byers

"Bette Noir" wrote in message
6.16...
[snip]
Thanks. I learn quite a lot from this newsgroup. I just wish I had

useful
contributions instead of all questions.

What makes you think asking questions isn't a useful contribution? If
no-one asks questions, no-one will provide the requisite answers and we're
all the poorer for it. Give yourself time. It takes time to learn and to
gain experience, and as you do you will be in a position to provide answers
as well as ask questions. We're in a process here that can't be rushed.
Our plants won't grow any faster just because we want more experience WRT
how they'll respond to a given treatment.

Just look at the average university system. You go in one day, knowing
nothing about anything, and it is often more than a decade later that you
come out nothing everything about nothing. ;-) It takes lots of time to
make such a transition.

Keep asking questions as they occur to you. They are useful!

Cheers,

Ted

Old 14-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Bolero

Keep in mind though that most people that show these have a theory that you
give it 2 to 3 years and if it doesn't flower like you expect then it's
unlikely too.

Ever!

"Bette Noir" wrote in message
. 199.17...
"TQPL" wrote in
:

snip

Old 14-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Bette Noir

"Ted Byers" wrote in
:

Keep asking questions as they occur to you. They are useful!

Cheers,

Ted

I am glad you (and I hope others) think of it this way! I dislike being
in a position were I just take, take, take, but you are right about
questions being useful to others, not just me.

I want to take a moment to give a little "hooray!" because I finally
have some lights set up. I asked here about lights a few weeks ago, and
a kind poster sent me some information that was very helpful. I now
have Sylvania Sunsticks a few inches above the orchids, set on timers.
I am just thrilled! Now I feel a little more justified in indulging my
orchid habit further :-)

Bette