Old 30-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Sarah Huff

Default Rhynchostylis care questions

Hi everyone! I just acquired a rhynchostylis and would like some tips on
caring for it. I know it should stay moist, but what type of medium does it
prefer? Will it grow well in s/h? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sarah

Old 30-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Kenni Judd

Which Rhynchostylis? We treat gigantea rather differently than we treat
coelestis, and haven't yet tried retusa.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 30-11-2003, 10:04 PM
J Fortuna

Since I really enjoy Web research, and I love to find out more about
different orchid types that I had never heard of before, couldn't resist
looking for this one. The simplified answer I got from a preliminary Web
search seems to be "Rhynchostylis will tolerate care that is just like a
Vanda's only less light." In answer to your question about s/h culture, I
went to First Rays' site (http://www.firstrays.com/hydro.htm) and noticed
the following statement that I think applies here "I've not had the guts to
try tolumnias or vandaceous orchids as yet, but I'll get there eventually. "

A few links on Rhynchostylis ca

Do a Find on "Rhynchostylis" in the following page to get to the paragraphs
on care of the 3 types, further down the page:
http://www.bribieislandorchidsociety...ews_may_03.htm

There seem to be more culture sheets for Rhynchostylis giganthea out there
than for either of the other two, so if you have a giganthea, here are some
culture sheets specific to it:
http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/FREE/FS998.html
http://dahliafarm.com/orchids/zgr15.htm

Old 30-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Doris Salzmann

..
"Sarah Huff" wrote in message
Hi everyone! I just acquired a rhynchostylis and would like some tips on
caring for it. I know it should stay moist, but what type of medium does

it
prefer? Will it grow well in s/h? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I have several Rhynchos. 2 are in baskets and one is in S/H . The
latter was struggling in it's basket last year and it loves the S/H culture
.. I let roots that start higher up just grow outside the pot. They get
misted together with the Vandas.

Doris

Old 30-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Kenni Judd

Sarah: If the leaves are wide and thick, and esp. if the plant is spiking
or flowering now, it's probably gigantea. Rhy. coelestis is a
summer-bloomer and looks more like a "typical" vanda; retusa is far less
common. I suspect you can find pics of all 3 on Jay Pfahl's Orchid
Encyclopedia site and ID it, even if it's not in bloom.

Assuming it's gigantea: we give these a lot less light than most of our
vandaceous, and they are also one of the few vandaceous that we sometimes
pot, rather than leaving bare in the basket. They will grow either way
here, but the potted ones seem to do a little better. Our potting medium is
coarse [big chunks] lava rock with a bit of coconut fiber layered in.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 01-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Sarah Huff

Joanna, YOU ROCK! Thanks for all of the websites and information. I really
appreciate it!

Sarah

"

Old 01-12-2003, 03:36 AM
Sarah Huff

"Sarah Huff" wrote in message
Hi everyone! I just acquired a rhynchostylis and would like some tips

on
caring for it. I know it should stay moist, but what type of medium

does
it
prefer? Will it grow well in s/h? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sarah

Rhynchostylis question Bob Walsh Orchids 3 29-03-2008 03:44 PM
Rhynchostylis coelestis from basket to pot Steve Weaver Orchids 1 23-05-2006 06:49 AM
Rhynchostylis gigantea samaki Orchids 24 25-02-2004 12:18 PM
Vandas in SH was Rhynchostylis care questions mg Orchids 0 08-12-2003 04:13 AM
Rhynchostylis gigantea and Bollea questions Susan Jeffrey Orchids 4 20-11-2003 11:32 PM