Old 11-12-2003, 05:42 PM
christopher johnson

Default Pseudobulb Shrinkage

I am a beginner/intermediate home grower who has been collecting for about
five years. I have maybe 20 different species of various types.

The problem I have is that I have yet to have an orchid in which the
pseudobulbs do not shrink and wither. It seems that the same orchids also
have wildly folded leaves.

Basically I have a problem with sustained decline I guess. I water, but
probably not enough. I fertilize, but probably not enough. And I have many
books and resources but only a few even mention the shrinkage issue, yet
alone the wild foliage. I can post some pics if needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2003, 09:32 PM
K Barrett

OK, Wrinkled bulbs (as you know) is from lack of water. But lack of water
can be for 2 reasons. 1- you are not watering enough or 2- the plant has no
roots with which to take up that water.

The pleated leaves are from low ambient humidity. Or lack of water getting
to the roots too - either becasue they have rotted away or because you need
to water.

Have you ever repotted you orchids? Have you ever pulled them out of their
pots to see what condition the roots are in? (I assume you have) If not, go
ahead and do so. Orchids are forgiving and really don't care if you mess
with their roots too much. If the roots are soft brown/black or mushy then
they are rotted and should be cut away with a clean, sterilized cutting tool
(remember to sterilze the tool between plants so you don't spread viruses
between plants). repot in fresh material and stablilize the plant in the pot
so it doesn't shake. A firm plant will re-root. Also make sure the pot
*just* holds whatever root ball you have left after trimming away any
dead/rotted ones. Too large a pot will encourage rotting again becasue
there's too much medium to hold water. If the plant isn't too stressed out
it will start making new roots in a few weeks.

I'm assuming that in 5 years you have repotted. My next question would be
what size bark or other potting material are you using? Sometimes using too
large a potting material will allow the plant to dry out too quickly in your
conditions and cause the dehydration that will make it shrivel and pleat.
Sometimes using a clay pot will allow a plant to dry out too quickly under
your conditions so it dehydrates and wrinkles and pleats. You could try a
plastic pot instead.

Hope this helps, write back and let us know

K Barrett

Old 12-12-2003, 05:03 PM
bb

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:40:08 GMT, "christopher johnson"
wrote:

The problem I have is that I have yet to have an orchid in which the
pseudobulbs do not shrink and wither.

I think Seinfeld had a skit about that.

bb