Old 12-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Gene Schurg

Default This Orchid Stinks

Joanna,

I've had this plant less than a year having purchased it when it went out of
bloom for $10 at a local nursury. After potting it up to a 6 inch pot it
threw out four growths of which three bloomed and made a nice display. I
give it lots of light and no other special treatment.

It only smells when it's dark. I took it to the local society meeting
Monday and when I took the plastic bag off it stunk. After two hours in the
light the fragrance was very dull. When I got it home in the dark car and
opened the bag it gave off the same odor.

Maybe I need my nose tuned up?

Good growing,
Gene

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Gene,

Have you had problems getting this plant to bloom in the past?
Have you as a result been moving it closer to the garbage?
Maybe once it actually bloomed you forgot to move it further away from the
garbage? ;-)

Joanna

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
link.net...
I have a beautiful B. Little Stars (nodosa x cordata) that has about 20
flowers on it. At night it smells like pungent rotting garbage.

Somehow I expected it to smell nice. Anyone else have this cross? Is

mine
unique or is this how it's supposed to smell.

BTW....it's quite beautiful but just stinks.

Good Growing,
Gene