Old 23-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Wendy

Default Treefern Question

Does anyone else have trouble growing orchids using treefern?
I have two of the tree fern pots & a couple of plants mounted &
have lost some as well.
Is there anything special I need to know?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 24-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Kye

Most treefern decomposes very quickly and the acids produced kill the plants
and/or destroy the roots. What you need to do is choose a good hard treefern
( In Australia thats Tasmanian Treefern ) Maybe Ray can suggest something.

I generally prefer to use natural cork as a substitute. It rots slower, is
PH neutral and plants seem to do better on it.

Kye.

Old 24-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Kenni Judd

Once upon a time, treefern was great [at least the totems and formed pots,
the loose stuff has always been a different story]. But we stopped using
them a few years ago, when we noticed an extreme lack of uniformity in the
products we were getting -- some had so much glue in them they would _never_
fall apart, but the orchid roots didn't like them, others had so little glue
that they fell apart within weeks.

As for the loose stuff, if it's good quality plants really like it at first,
but it's very hard to remove at repotting time ...

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

TreeFern Dave United Kingdom 9 11-09-2007 02:55 PM
Treefern & frost Sacha United Kingdom 3 27-11-2005 03:25 PM
baby treefern - grown up yet? Victoria Clare United Kingdom 1 03-11-2004 03:36 PM
Winterizing Question...Question 1 of x BenignVanilla Ponds 1 08-09-2003 06:22 PM