Old 29-12-2003, 09:40 PM
dd

Default Captan 50 wettable powder

Hi, today I purchased a 5-pound bag of Captan 50 wettable powder.
This is recommended in the AOS pest and disease book. This will be more
than a lifetime supply for me, but this is the only size that the
vendor had. The problem is that the bag does not come with dilution
instructions. I searched the Internet, and all I can find is data
sheets for crops. Does anybody have an idea of how much powder to put
in a 1 gallon jug of water for phals?

Any help will be appreciated.

DD
Old 30-12-2003, 05:02 AM

DD .....Somewhere in one of these responses somebody was looking for
more captan - saying they couldn't get it anymore. Hence the help in
the over supply I'm sure. I just have a couple of phals. but any
insight on how this helps would be helpful.......Burr

Old 30-12-2003, 11:34 AM
dd

In article ,
wrote:

DD .....Somewhere in one of these responses somebody was looking for
more captan - saying they couldn't get it anymore. Hence the help in
the over supply I'm sure. I just have a couple of phals. but any
insight on how this helps would be helpful.......Burr

If your phals are healthy, you don't need Captan 50--it's used for
brown rot and bacterial soft rot.
Old 30-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Michael Gerzog

dd wrote in message t...

Does anybody have an idea of how much powder to put
in a 1 gallon jug of water for phals?

Any help will be appreciated.

DD

To treat what? I've never seen it actually labelled for orchids. For
ornamentals of various sorts, the dilution rates are 5 tsps or 9 tsps
per gallon. The lower rate for stuff like leaf spotting and botrytis,
the higher rate for root and other more serious rots.

MG

Old 30-12-2003, 10:32 PM
B. Murray Tucker, Jr.

The rate is 2 pounds per 100 gallons water
Or 16 ounce per 50 gallons water
Or 1 ounce per 3.125 gallons water
Find a scale that can weigh out 1 ounce of powder. Then count the number of
tea spoons in the ounce.
One third of the number tea spoons is what you need for a gallon.

Old 31-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Michael Gerzog

dd wrote in message t...

brown rot and bacterial soft rot

If you mean crown rot, I don't think you can count on Captan to cure
it, it moves very quickly and Captan isn't systemic. But for anything
more than a fairly superficial infection, I would go with the higher
dilution rate if you want to try the Captan.

MG
Old 31-12-2003, 06:02 PM
profpam

I always liked Captan for the prevention of problems. When in the late
afternoon, I saw water droplets on a particular plant, I would get out
the duster and spray it a tiny bit with Captan to prevent crown rot,
etc. But, don't look for Captan if you live in California and some other
states as it has been removed from the market and requires a permit (The
same person, who had me calling a farm supply store said she used it
under her horse's saddle, and another person said it was being used on
strawberries and that it was a cancer causing agent). I was told at our
local nursery just "don't over-water and anything that works is taken
off the market). So, now I have Bonomyl on order; however, I don't know
much about it.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 01-01-2004, 04:42 PM
dd

Thanks! I've got a postage scale and can use it!

Old 01-01-2004, 05:02 PM
dd

I'm in Massachusetts, and I've got a bag of Captan sitting in my
basement. From all the warning labels, it sounds as if it could be
dangerous stuff if used improperly. Supposedly, if the powder gets in
your eyes, it causes permanent damage.
I've used Bonomyl outdoors, and it has not worked very well for curing
clematis wilt. These days, I'm cutting down on outdoor pesticides,
fungicides, etc., because I'm afraid of poisoning Boots, a neighbor's
free-roaming cat, or the birds that frequent my feeders.

Captan Fungicide profpam Orchids 10 06-12-2003 07:12 PM
How Much Captan (Fungicide) Per Gal. of Water? Jay von Lehe Orchids 0 19-11-2003 04:42 PM
Captan 50% WP fungicide questions - please help Jay von Lehe Orchids 0 16-11-2003 07:12 PM
white "powder" on acanthus chaz United Kingdom 4 01-06-2003 11:44 PM
yellow powder on my grass? tim Gardening 3 25-01-2003 05:40 AM