Old 05-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Zygopetalum!

I, too, have talked lots of people out of buying lots of plants -- if they
gave me the least indication whatsoever that they were open to advice. But
I've also had
quite a few get truly huffy at the merest question that so much as hinted
that they might need some advice ...

It may be different up in Ray's neck of the woods, but down here, I deal
with a _lot_ of different types of customers -- among the true hobbyists:
some are novices, some have been growing since before I was born [1958,
which means they've been at it for a while]; and all in-between. [Most
novices tell me so, and I can usually spot the long-timers; it's the
in-betweeners that tend to get touchy.]

Then there are those not really interested in growing orchids
at all: those buying gifts (and as Ray noted, some of those gift recipients
have greatly exaggerated their orchid-growing interest/abilities to their
loved
ones -- I've had several similar experiences*); and some are buying orchids
as house decorations, realizing that even if tossed [or given the
housekeeper, etc.] after this blooming,
they're still a better value than cut flowers.

As Diana mentions, the setting is also a major factor -- it's not usually
hard to get a little rapport with folks who visit here at the nursery
[although there are (thank goodness!) some days when we have 3 sets of
customers at once, with the phone ringing throughout]; but some orders just
come in via the website.
There's a mail-to link there, for anyone with questions; I get lots, and am
happy to answer them. But if someone just orders Plant X on the order form,
I figure they know what they want. And then there are shows -- sometimes
it's slow and I have plenty of time to chat; other times, there are multiple
customers lined up ...

*The most disappointing, in my personal experience, involved a young lady
who was convinced that her mother was "an orchid grower." She and I spent
quite a bit of time on the phone, customizing one of our variety collections
so that Mom would get one plant in bloom, and then 3 others that would bloom
at different times of the year. I can't repeat Mom's irate phone call here
in
its entirety, but mostly, she was furious that "3 of these AREN'T EVEN IN
BLOOM." My sympathies really went out to the poor, misled daughter!

The bottom line being, if you are a newbie, or even an experienced grower
branching out into a new type of plant, SAY SO -- BEFORE you buy the plant!
I, and most every grower I know, will be happy to try to guide and help you,
even if you don't know the right questions to ask. But don't ask us to
guess your level of expertise or growing conditions just by looking at you

Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Ray" wrote in message
I cannot tell you how many times I've talked people out of buying a plant,
and it surprises the hell out of them!

Simply, I'd prefer that they get a plant that's appropriate for their
conditions rather than get one they end up killing, possibly turning them
off to me and/or orchids altogether.

Then there was the time someone insisted that the recipient of their

gift -
ten bare-root ascocendas - absolutely know how to care for them. (The
recipient returned them a week later...)

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
If you order an orchid via my website (or visit my booth at a show, or

come
into my shadehouse, and select a plant), do you _really_ want me to

grill
you about your growing conditions before I allow you to purchase it?

Even if you personally might prefer that, I can tell you from

experience
that a lot of customers don't -- and some will get quite huffy about

it!

Personally, I think it would be a good service to a customer to politely

ask
about growing conditions, at least if the transaction is in person.

(Doing
so on the web might seem kind of cold.) After all, if a customer

purchases
something that will quickly expire after purchase, that does no good for

the
seller or the buyer. Perhaps a way to handle it would be to ask if the
customer needs culture advice for the plant. Someone who knows what

he/she
is doing will say no, while a newbie would gratefully accept, and buy
something else if the plant in question is not suitable for its intended
environment.

No, I wouldn't relish being "grilled" about my growing conditions, but

it's
not what you say, it's how you say it...........

Diana

Old 10-01-2004, 03:35 PM
John Mallery

As a fairly new hobbyist(two years), I always appreciate comments and
reccommendations from commercial growers. Especially if the grower is truly
passionate about the plants and their business. I have been to several
commercial growers that are simply orchid "supermarkets" - pick up a cart or
basket, walk through the aisles, fill up your basket and check out. In some
instances help was never offered - which is frustrating. Did I buy plants
from these growers? You bet, but I probably would have purchased more had I
had some assistance. We also grow as a family, my wife and I and our two
youngest children who are 9 and 11. I have seen growers cringe at the site
of our children when we walk into their greenhouses. They relax a little bit
when they find out our 11 year old son has clerked at several shows and has
more than a rudimentary knowledge - "Hey Dad, I just saw this really cool
Masdevallia, you have to see it!" On of our most enjoyable orchid related
experiences just happened while we were in San Francisco and visited a
commercial grower there. We spent over two hours at the facility, had a
staff member walk with us the entire time, asking questions, showing us
plants, and sharing his growing experiences. This was done even though the
phone was ringing off the hook and they were preparing for a show on the day
before a Holiday weekend. They treated every member of our family with
respect and we had a great time. The result? We spent about $100 more on
plants than planned, had a great time, and will definitely buy plants from
this grower again! Is this experience an exception - absolutely. But I
contacted the grower prior to visiting, explained our growing conditions,
our interests etc., which certainly helped. I don't want to mention the
growers name, because I think it is unrealistic to expect that kind of
treatment every time - but I do wish more growers would treat their
customers this way.

John
.. .

Old 12-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Diana Kulaga

John,

I think you absolutely should share the name of that grower with the rest of
us. Though one can't expect to duplicate your experience each time, I for
one love to hear about truly dedicated growers!

Diana

Zygopetalum ID Dave Gillingham Orchids 1 21-06-2004 01:05 PM
When to re-pot a Zygopetalum? ChrisR Orchids 2 15-08-2003 03:12 PM
Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time? Caren Orchids 5 30-01-2003 10:45 PM